PDA

View Full Version : Dipping and Washing: Hot Weather Problems

Sign Ahead
10-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Does anyone out there have suggestions for dipping or washing in really hot, dry weather? I live in an area with frequent 110+ degree weather, and getting good washes is a constant struggle. The paint, ink, woodstain or wash dries within seconds of applying it to the model and I end up with streaks, rings and blobs all over my models. I learned to paint in a cool, humid climate, and having something that reliably worked for me elsewhere turn into such a problem is really, really smash-the-latest-messed-up-model-with-a-hammer frustrating.

I've had success by waiting until 4-5 hours after sunset or cranking up the air conditioning. On our worst days, when the high temperature gets close to 120 degrees, I've even had to do both. But I'd like to find a solution that lets me work in the daylight and doesn't lead to a four-figure electric bill. If you've had success in this kind of climate, how did you do it? A frothing mad painter needs your help.

JxKxR
10-14-2010, 02:02 PM
You might have to make yourself a bubble boy. when it gets like that here a corner of my room looks like the end of E.T.

Kahoolin
10-15-2010, 12:56 AM
I feel your pain. I live in Australia and during summer I paint after dark :(

Seems the viscosity of the paints is calibrated for cool climates.

Lordgimpet
10-16-2010, 01:28 AM
hmm have you tried some of the various reducing agents you can get for acrylic paints as a suppliment for water, assuming your using waterbased paint. these can increase the "wet" time for paints i normally use them for thinning to airbrush or if I wetblend, as the water where I am has high mineral count and can mess my paints. The downside it increases the dry time which for you might be a blessing rather then a curse.

If your using woodstains or "army painter" that are oil based add mineral Turpintine as it has a low evaporation rate and can make drying take longer considerably.

I share your pain though I live in West Aus which is much like Arizona in the summer :(

Sign Ahead
10-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks JxKxR, Kahoolin and Lordgimpet!

JxKxR, when you set up your bubble biy kit, what do you use? are you trying to maintain a lower temperature, a higher level of humidity, or both? I toyed with the idea of setting up a window air conditioner and a humidifier in our smallest bedroom. But that's a lot of initial expense and probably a big hit to my electric bill. Have you found a better way to keep your bubble cool?

Lordgimpet, thanks for the suggestion. I've got some mineral spirits (I think that's the US equivalent to mineral turpentine), and I gave them a try yesterday morning. The results, when I thinned the polyshades down to the consistency of water, were good. It took some work to bring out the high points with a brush and sponge dipped in the mineral spirits, but I had plenty of time before it set. It may be my favorite method so far, but I'd love to do something about the smell.

Today, I'm going to try some old oil paints and a bottle of Turpenoid (aka odorless mineral spirits).

Thanks for your help, and stay cool!