PDA

View Full Version : Help flying bases

docbungle
10-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi all

I am looking for some inspiration regarding flying bases.

I don't want to use the standard ones, boring clear plastic!
I want ones bit more dynamic and scenic, any suggests ideas etc? Pictures would be good to.

Cheers

Mal
10-14-2010, 09:46 AM
The best I have seen is for ruins terrain with a piece of ruin on the base and the vehicle connected to the top of the ruin, I expect some fiddly pinning will be required to make it strong.

sebi81
10-14-2010, 11:09 AM
I tried it tis way:

JxKxR
10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Has anyone ever tried making magnetic flying bases? Having a model actually levitating off the board would be so sweet.

docbungle
10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Has anyone ever tried making magnetic flying bases? Having a model actually levitating off the board would be so sweet.

As sweet as that would be I dread to think the size if the magnets needed

JxKxR
10-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Still Id like to try. But back to helping you, what army do you play and what kind of board do you usually play on? Thinking about that you can make some bases that really bring your force together.

docbungle
10-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Still Id like to try. But back to helping you, what army do you play and what kind of board do you usually play on? Thinking about that you can make some bases that really bring your force together.

Currently updating my very old DE that I havent touched in a long long time!!

As for scenery is abit of a mixed bag as I use it for Sci-fi fantasy, modern. SO just using imagation for whats on the board.

That ruined drop pod is also temple :)

Brass Scorpion
10-15-2010, 01:16 PM
The best I have seen is for ruins terrain with a piece of ruin on the base and the vehicle connected to the top of the ruin I'll support that suggestion as well. The "flying over ruins" technique allows for a wide range of individual creativity and generally always looks really cool. Of course there are lots of other great themes as well, jungle, ice, crags, battlefield debris, etc.

Try and pick a theme and then evoke that theme through the parts you use to customize your bases, whether or not they look like ruins, intact structures, some kind of thematic plant life, or something else. For example, my Spears Of Ares Space Marine army (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-13937-5808_Spears%20Of%20Ares%20Space%20Marines.html) has an ancient Greek theme and all the models have mosaic basing. The Land Speeders have mosaic basing with ruined Greek-style pillars:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/3/24/92504_sm-Conversion%2C%20Land%20Speeder%2C%20Painting%2C%20 Space%20Marines%2C%20Vehicle%20Squadron%2C%20Warha mmer%2040%2C000.jpg