PDA

View Full Version : How Many Dark Eldar Players?

house_cawdor
10-12-2010, 02:48 PM
How many players do you think will actually stick to DE as a main or secondary force?
Will it be a flavor of the month thing?
Does this make anyone look forward to OTHER Xenos?
I sure am excited for a XENOS dex!
Bring on the Dark Eldar, Tau, and Necrons!
Then all this meta game talk will really explode!:D

Old_Paladin
10-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I think they will be a flavour of the month.

My first and only army I bought during third edition was dark eldar. They are a hard army to get used to, and I see this being no different this time around. If things go right and you know what you're doing it's a great army (I personally could almost never pull things off right, and got smashed for it most of the time).

For the few people that know how to make the style work (eldar, airborne guard, some tau players), it'll probably be a good force.
Many of the people however are going to be Marine players jumping on the new 'cheese' that beat them into the ground; these people will quickly learn how different a toughness 3, 5+ save army is. And quickly jump back to their tougher and more forgiving army.

BuFFo
10-12-2010, 03:37 PM
How many players do you think will actually stick to DE as a main or secondary force?

I haven't the slightest idea. Many people 'may' play Dark Eldar as a secondary army anyway, but as their first army? I don't think many will.

Will it be a flavor of the month thing?

Yes and no. Yes, in that people will buy the army for a plethora of reasons. No, in that Dark Eldar is not a MArine based army. Marine based armies are the easiest to be flavor of the month because once a player owns a marine army, they just switch chapters like the wind. Dark Eldar require players to actually 'buy' new models, and few people are willing to shell out 500 - 800 bucks for a new army.

Does this make anyone look forward to OTHER Xenos?

Not really. Dark Eldar is the only Xenos army I currently play, so I couldn't care less about the others.

house_cawdor
10-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm ecstatic! I am no vet player of Dark Eldar, but I refuse to play as Marines. (Although I'd break down for Chaos) I have been waiting for a Xenos range to get totally redone and now is my chance to pick up a sinister, evil army.

Buffo, I like theArchon/Incubi Warrior/Hellions/and Jetbikes. I wouldn't mind a wytch squad or two, but how do you think I should go about building a list? I want to keep it fluffly!

(I was originally a Tau Player, but I'm waiting for them to get a rework)

BuFFo
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Buffo, I like theArchon/Incubi Warrior/Hellions/and Jetbikes. I wouldn't mind a wytch squad or two, but how do you think I should go about building a list? I want to keep it fluffly!

Step one - Stop reading what people say online about 'power builds'.

Step two - Pick any combination of units you want and make an army out of it.

Step three - Play with your fluffy army! :D

Seriously, if you listen to what you read online, everything is a power build. I don't care if it is a Grot army, or a Vespid aarmy, people will cry about it and insult others by calling them power gamers.

If you want an army comprised of all dark lances, maybe all wyches, with two special characters, maybe with all raiders, with all reavers, maybe with all heat lances, then make it!

Personally, I am going to be building the following armies over the next year;

1500 point Kabal - Mostly Warriors with Raiders and Reavers, Incubi, True Born, Maybe Vect HQ
1500 point Wych Cult - Mostly Wyches, Hellions, and Beasts (No Lelith, she sucks. Archite instead)
1500 point Haemonculi Coven - Heamonculous HQ, Uriel HQ, Grotesques, Wracks, Raiders
1500 point Hellion Cult Sub Sect - Duke HQ, All Hellions, all the time

See? I have not seen the book, and I already have four fluffy lists. Now of course, remember, fluffy for one person maybe not for another, but all that matters is that the list FEELS fluffy for you!

After I get a copy of the book in my hands, however I can lol, I will have to spend a few days and really get detailed with my lists, so what I have written above is just a rough idea, a wish list from the rumors I have heard.

Old_Paladin
10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
1500 point Kabal - Mostly Warriors with Raiders and Reavers, Incubi, True Born, Maybe Vect HQ
1500 point Wych Cult - Mostly Wyches, Hellions, and Beasts (No Lelith, she sucks. Archite instead)
1500 point Haemonculi Coven - Heamonculous HQ, Uriel HQ, Grotesques, Wracks, Raiders

No Talos, Cronos or Scourges in your Haemonc list?
Shame on you, you said you wanted fluffy *tisk* *tisk* ;) (jk)

BuFFo
10-12-2010, 06:40 PM
No Talos, Cronos or Scourges in your Haemonc list?
Shame on you, you said you wanted fluffy *tisk* *tisk* ;) (jk)

Scourges will never see play in any of my lists. They and Vespids share the same level of design hell... :eek:

Old_Paladin
10-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Scourges will never see play in any of my lists. They and Vespids share the same level of design hell... :eek:

They might not be the strongest choice, but they're not Vespid level of bad.

They have a higher BS, a range 18" assault:3 weapon and better armour. In a Haemonc list, you can keep them bare-bones to add an anti-infantry element. Just over 130 points for 18 shots from a squad of 6 isn't terrible. That's an average of 2 dead MEQ, or 6 dead guardsmen or orks; that would soften a unit for a Wracks charge.

murrburger
10-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I used to have a Dark Eldar army in 3rd, but I sold them when 4th came around (Big mistake) to replace them with my 3rd/4th Eldar. I'm trying to snap up a few 'bad' classic models (the archon, warp beasts) before I can't buy them anymore.

I'm sorry to say that DE will just be another flavour of the month. I kind of want it that way, because come next codex, only the legit DE players will stay.

Erasmus of Baal
10-12-2010, 08:55 PM
For myself, I will not have a DE army just to meet "flavor of the month." However, I will probably put together a small group of Harlequins and another of Hellions because I like both of those (and these small groups could be great fun for that "Killzone" thing mentioned on the main BoLS feed the other day).

DarkLink
10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I used to have a Dark Eldar army in 3rd, but I sold them when 4th came around (Big mistake) to replace them with my 3rd/4th Eldar. I'm trying to snap up a few 'bad' classic models (the archon, warp beasts) before I can't buy them anymore.

I will never understand why people would want to buy ugly, inferior stuff just because it's classic. I mean, something with actual historical value (like a Model T or something), sure, but would you want to buy a Pinto just because there's only a few left?

murrburger
10-12-2010, 11:22 PM
The same reason why people collect and watch B-movies. (Like me)

I can't take them seriously as good models, but it's something you can show to your friends and laugh about.

BuFFo
10-12-2010, 11:25 PM
...would you want to buy a Pinto just because there's only a few left?

Yes.

Mal
10-13-2010, 01:29 AM
I used to play DE many many moons ago.. but sold my army during one of my lulls in gaming... shame on me.

I've recently brought about 2K worth of old style DE (no I didn't buy the archon... that mini is so bad I cannot stand the thought of owning one), i'll be replacing the infantry at the start of next month, probally not in one go, but aver a few weeks i'll pick up everything I need to finish the first of 2 builds im looking at. And I can always use the old stuff until I have the new stuff painted.

I am expecting a lot of marine players to jump onto the DE bandwagon, mostly due to the impression a lot of xenos races have as being durable (they are not unless they are played properly, but this is a common impression less skilled gamers have), but as soon as they realise its going to be AV10, T3, 5+ then they will be in for a shock of their lives and the rest of us will be able to pick up new minis from ebay ;)

For those who do not jump on the bandwagon im expecting months of them crying cheese and saying our codex is OP, and for no other reason than they simply don't understand DE... yes they hit hard... really bloody hard... but they are made of glass to counter this. After all it'd hardly be fair if they were only as killy as marines but without a fraction of their durability, but nobody who doesn't play the army cares about fair.

If the xenos player can beat the whiny little brat (aka the marine player) then the xenos code is OP (apparently).

DarkLink
10-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Yes.

Well, you're money:p

BuFFo
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Well, you're money:p

I am?

-grabs some fat-

Nope, no money came off of me, sorry.

house_cawdor
10-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Step one - Stop reading what people say online about 'power builds'.

See? I have not seen the book, and I already have four fluffy lists. Now of course, remember, fluffy for one person maybe not for another, but all that matters is that the list FEELS fluffy for you!

After I get a copy of the book in my hands, however I can lol, I will have to spend a few days and really get detailed with my lists, so what I have written above is just a rough idea, a wish list from the rumors I have heard.

I like that idea, a list for every cult....Sounds expensive and a bit tedious though

Also, about the guy that said about the misthought on xenos durability - I still always roll my eyes when players get excited when my firewarriors die 4-6 at a time haha

ArchonPhelps
10-15-2010, 04:16 AM
I have been playing DE since they came out with the marines in the box set with the marines. True I might have won a game in the first 2 months but thankfully I am to stupid to give up on them. I love the fact I would go to Tournaments and people always ask what a unit does and what is an "Incubi" is. DE is my primary army and it works very well. I was hoping that this Codex might add a couple of units and tweak a couple of lesser units but this codex seems like an entirely new glass cannon. Should be even funner!

Mal
10-15-2010, 05:08 PM
i've looked through the codex now... and let me tell you... its shiny...

lots of cool new gadgets to play with, some new rules to try to break (in the spirit of the game ofc :p ) and some nice shiny new units...

just a few more weeks and I get my new minis through...

Blackyujiro
10-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I think there will be a ton of players picking the army at first. Then once people see that they are SERIOUSLY 40k's galss hammer army, I think folks will do 1 of two things.1-Attempt to beef up the surviability of their DE(FNP is great on them, but they still take massive casualties quickly). 2-Move on to a more resilient army, as for the last 8-9 years, the DE haven't seen much table time. So alot of players are used to their armies lasting for a bit longer.

eldargal
10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing all the bandwagoners realise that Dark Eldar actually require skill to use. Happy times ahead.

BuFFo
10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing all the bandwagoners realise that Dark Eldar actually require skill to use. Happy times ahead.

I would like these people to use the previous codex before they quit Dark Eldar, to see what they have been missing for the past 12 years :)