PDA

View Full Version : jaws of the world wolf question

Evil
10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
sorry lol. but came up how does it interact with different heights such as some units on a building i know its a line but is it a slice along that line like a single plane.

templets and blasts have a rules for buildings but this does not just says along that line. dont want be given out to just curious what the answer is.

Tynskel
10-11-2010, 08:14 PM
you draw a line in a 3d game... it doesn't state to draw a plane in a 3d game.

lowdog
10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
With the template precedent I would go with the idea that it is like a line template running along the ground level.

SeattleDV8
10-12-2010, 01:15 AM
BRB pg.85 ".....may only affect models under the template on a single level."
You meant that precedent?

N0rdicNinja
10-12-2010, 05:14 AM
Looking at it from a RAW standpoint I think you are correct, the line has to be drawn "along the board" and any model specifically touched by the line takes the test. So it seems to me at least any models standing atop terrain are ok.

Evil
10-12-2010, 05:23 AM
so since it is not templete does that mean that once you can hop on a waist high wall someplace your scot free from mister world wolf. and you cant pick a level for it to hit since it is neither a templet or a blast.

also the blood lance works same way right so does that mean that it cant hit valks or flying stand stuff since you you need to hit the hull not the base?.

Old_Paladin
10-12-2010, 06:54 AM
so since it is not templete does that mean that once you can hop on a waist high wall someplace your scot free from mister world wolf. and you cant pick a level for it to hit since it is neither a templet or a blast.

also the blood lance works same way right so does that mean that it cant hit valks or flying stand stuff since you you need to hit the hull not the base?.

That’s not how this game works though.
You're not off the primary level when you get on a hill or a fence, or if you're a jump troop modeled in mid jump, or if you're a skimmer.

Multiple levels apply in very specific circumstances: ie. in a multi-floor ruin or building.
Likewise with skimmers, you tend to use the hull; but the round base can often be a legal representation of measurement.
For example, for the Valk, many things are supposed to be measured from the base; as it's impossible to embark or disembark 2" from the hull, and the model is too large to enforce the 'no model, friend or foe, may be placed under a skimmer.

Tynskel
10-12-2010, 07:31 AM
the blood lance does not work the same way. It specifically states that it flies over CC. Also, it hits units, as opposed to models. They really function differently.

Mr.Pickelz
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
when using the power, the rune preist is spliting the ground open, under the enemy's feet, i would assume their view on using the line rule is that. Like the template rule, it only affects models on "one" level and not multiple.

RealGenius
10-12-2010, 01:02 PM
The Jaws rule itself says "trace a line along the board", so I've always played it like you took a pencil out and drew a line on the board, over the contours, up and down buildings, etc.

DarkLink
10-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Well, mathematically speaking a line is a straight curve that extends infinitely in one dimension. If you were to consider everything above and below that line, the it would no longer be a line, it would be a plane (which extends infinitely in two dimensions rather than just one).

Evil
10-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, mathematically speaking a line is a straight curve that extends infinitely in one dimension. If you were to consider everything above and below that line, the it would no longer be a line, it would be a plane (which extends infinitely in two dimensions rather than just one).

this seems the best. but on the blood lance and saying it hits units not models to hit the skimmer normaly you need to hit the hull as the base is igored for everthing but assult.

i dont use blood angles and infact never played them but im just curious since it to draws a line accross the board just seems a lapse in rules is all i could be wroung. i know these two rules where well thought out andwritten :). just like the valk

Tynskel
10-12-2010, 05:36 PM
the valk n' stormravens have some exceptions in that you can use their base for certain rules. A lot of things are measured from thier bases.

Alternatively, you could just measure a line from the libby to the hull., might skip everything in between.

Evil
10-12-2010, 06:06 PM
thats the thing there exceptions that really should of come up when they made the rule and just said o ya x y z for z y z units. but ignoreing common sense and going by whats written someone can easily argue the point . cause if you use the base then can there weird melta pistol use the base for half range stuff . if you make exceptions for one rule cause its badly worded or not fully covered then some people can argue it for use with other rules.

wonder will 6th ed have a new shooting type cause of the increase in line weapons