PDA

View Full Version : New Paintstation, Monster figure case and more!

Dominic
10-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Some new Christmas goodies :)

I for one love the monster figure case :D

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98504&d=1286711064

N0rdicNinja
10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
*looks at price tags*

*begins to laugh hysterically*

I would never even consider a single thing on that advert.

Lockark
10-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Thows are the Aus/NZ prices. So what can us Can/US/Eng gamers expect price-wise?

I accualy really dig that Paint/cutting mat combo set. Since I move back and worth between my desk and liveing room when it comes to painting.

TheBitzBarn
10-10-2010, 02:11 PM
But you can craft your own paint station for like 15 american at Home Depot or Lowes and the cuttiung mat form GF9 for half waht GW wants

They are Super Crazy

Drew da Destroya
10-10-2010, 02:28 PM
My cutting mat is an old magazine... needs to be replaced soon, since it's pretty shredded by now.

My paint station is the box that I keep my paints in... and a small plastic cup for water. What use is an "official" paint station? I don't really see any benefit for the cost.

Lockark
10-10-2010, 02:34 PM
But what is the price? All it lists is the Aus/NZ prices, and we all already know the Aus/NZ prices are ALWAYS over priced.

There is a %80 price difference between the Canadian and Australian prices listed there on the things we do know like the tool kit. If it's like $44CAD for a paint/brush organizer and cutting mat then I could dig it.

By the time I pay for shipping to Canada for that little gale force 9 cutting mat is well over $20! If I got to a craft store there smallest cutting mat will be $20-ish dollars. (Cheaper then the Gale Force 9.)

There for something in the $44 range would in all honesty be reasonable. (Especially since I would not have to pay shipping or the such on it.)

Something that helps me quickly and conveniently organize and put away my paints is useful to me. Since I have very limited desk space that I also have to use for Drawing my art commissions and Paper Writing.

N0rdicNinja
10-10-2010, 05:21 PM
The Ausi dollar and the US dollar are worth almost the exact same:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=aud+to+usd

Basically you've got $0.99 American for every $1.00 Australian.

So yes, all of that stuff is laughably expensive. Other then paints, I would highly suggest you look elsewhere for all your hobbyist needs. If you want a cutting mat go to Walmart, they have a big variety and they're all cheap, I've been using the same one I got from Walmart for 5 years now.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=cutting+mat&ic=48_0&search_constraint=0

Lockark
10-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Real money values doesn't mean anything to GW.

Last I checked the Tool kit wasn't $180 USD.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470006a&prodId=prod1140059

Pro Tip: It's $120 USD. Because the above is the Australian prices, witch as I said has quite a large mark-up compared to the US and CAD prices. There is a %66 price difference between the USD and AU prices for the tool kit!

Brass Scorpion
10-10-2010, 10:23 PM
The problem with the GW Monster Figure Case is the same as with their other cases. The shell and foam are terrific and sturdy but the hinges and latches are frail and notoriously difficult to repair. When they break you're left with a very expensive but useless transport case. I wouldn't mind the price of the cases if the longevity on the hinges and latches was more reliably lengthy, but that is not the case and they've made no move to change or improve them in spite of the numerous broken ones out there and complaints due to same. I'll stick with my Plano 1404 cases for large models, they fit two Baneblades side by side or two Brass Scorpions, etc., they are inexpensive and the latches and hitches are sturdy.

The Mega-Paint set in the US is already in stores. It's $247.50 just like last year. The photo above is from the upcoming New Zealand/Australia White Dwarf, so prices shown are not much help for the USA.

Mike X
10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
The Mega-Paint set in the US is already in stores. It's $247.50 just like last year. The photo above is from the upcoming New Zealand/Australia White Dwarf, so prices shown are not much help for the USA.

Another example is the army case. It's shown there to be $165, but in the US it's still $99.

I would expect the monster case to be about $75-80 in the US when it releases here.

BuFFo
10-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Doesn't matter the market...

GW supplementary items are 99% of the time over priced junk.

Avoid this shat like the plague.

pinchy
10-11-2010, 01:17 AM
The Ausi dollar and the US dollar are worth almost the exact same:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=aud+to+usd

Basically you've got $0.99 American for every $1.00 Australian.

So yes, all of that stuff is laughably expensive. Other then paints, I would highly suggest you look elsewhere for all your hobbyist needs. If you want a cutting mat go to Walmart, they have a big variety and they're all cheap, I've been using the same one I got from Walmart for 5 years now.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=cutting+mat&ic=48_0&search_constraint=0

Except that as a NZer/Australian it's about 40% cheaper to buy GW stuff from the US/UK. I've always used this as the rule of thumb seeing a land raider is about $100 Australian and GWs website is telling me it's about $60 US. If you're really curious about the exact prices then use the country select thing on the GW website to compare items similarly priced to those in the ad.

fuzzbuket
10-11-2010, 01:57 AM
wait.. monster case 1 £60 case for transporting 1 stomper? a wee bit OTT :P

Gir
10-11-2010, 05:06 AM
wait.. monster case 1 £60 case for transporting 1 stomper? a wee bit OTT :P

I think it'll find it's use in transporting Forgeworld stuff.

Duke
10-11-2010, 08:11 AM
I could see a use for the monster case to transport my revenant, but the thing is that there are so many other things that don't cost a ton of cash.

The only thing that I would even think about buying is the Paint set, but even that is overpriced, lol.

Duke

Brass Scorpion
10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Advance Order Cutting Mat and Paint Station (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat470002a&rootCatGameStyle=paints-tools)

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1440166a_99239999056_CitadelPaintStation3_873x627 .jpg

isotope99
10-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Doesn't matter the market...

GW supplementary items are 99% of the time over priced junk.

Avoid this shat like the plague.

Exceptions for me are probably the razorsaw and miniature drill which aren't so easy to find equivalents of and I find pretty useful.

Generally, I agree though, a basic hardware store will get you most of what you need at much less. I recommend a standard stanley knife for cutting and shaving plastic, has replacable blades and is way more durable than anything else.

Just remember kids, cut away from the body if you want to keep your fingers :eek:

Lane
10-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Pin Vice, has collets for a wide range of drill sizes unlike the GW version
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/exl/exl55661.htm

Razor Saw, separate handle and blade, replacement blades about $3 and available in 2-3 widths and 2 tooth pitches
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s295.htm

These items should be available at ant local model/ train store as well.

Gir
10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Assuming I can get one through Mealstrom, I'm looking at getting the monster model case now. It looks like it could easily hold my Baneblade, Shadowsword and Stormblade.

ddsa86
10-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Our local gaming store said that the monster figure case is a limited item like the giant paint set and will be available probably in time for Xmas. He said that it would be around $80.00 USD. I still prefer the Battlefoam cases even though they are a bit pricey.....

JxKxR
10-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I HATE that paint station! Who would trust setting that thing in your lap like that? It seems uncomfortable and a tragedy just waiting to happen. I really hate GW when they put out overpriced crap.

BuFFo
10-14-2010, 02:09 PM
I HATE that paint station! Who would trust setting that thing in your lap like that? It seems uncomfortable and a tragedy just waiting to happen. I really hate GW when they put out overpriced crap.

Well, to be fair, GW can put out whatever they want, so don't get mad at them for trying to put out some products for a profit.

The blame lies in the consumers stupid enough to purchase this crap.

It is the same reason Hollywood cranks out Saw after Saw, or Pirates of the Whatever part 4 next year, because people give them money to do so. Oh, and they'll all probably be in 3D as well....

Instead of paying 15 bucks for a GW spray can, go to a local hobby store and buy a better quality can for 8 6.99. Or, instead of buying GW PVA glue for 8 bucks, go to a local store and buy Elmers glue for 2 bucks.

JxKxR
10-14-2010, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=BuFFo;101273]Well, to be fair, GW can put out whatever they want, so don't get mad at them for trying to put out some products for a profit.

[QUOTE]

Thats production, time, and money they could be spending elsewhere. They need to leave the hobby supplies out of it because they ask to much for way to little.

And who is out there buying this crap? the GW hobby supplies at my local store haven't sold! They sit there collecting dust. Selling that kind of crap only breeds discontent and GW will lose a lot of money in the end.

N0rdicNinja
10-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, to be fair, GW can put out whatever they want, so don't get mad at them for trying to put out some products for a profit.

The blame lies in the consumers stupid enough to purchase this crap.

It is the same reason Hollywood cranks out Saw after Saw, or Pirates of the Whatever part 4 next year, because people give them money to do so. Oh, and they'll all probably be in 3D as well....

Instead of paying 15 bucks for a GW spray can, go to a local hobby store and buy a better quality can for 8 6.99. Or, instead of buying GW PVA glue for 8 bucks, go to a local store and buy Elmers glue for 2 bucks.

Almost every single post you make I find myself nodding my head going "Exactly! Finally, someone who agrees!"

Citadel = Yesterdays products at tomorrows prices.

It's your money to waste, but if you keep throwing your money at them they'll gladly keep making mediocre products that already exist at completely absurd prices.

eldargal
10-14-2010, 07:24 PM
GW dont produce them, they outsource their production. Not that I'm defending their hobby supplies, you can get cheaper at any hobby or hardware store. Though be sure to get a decent brand, I've had problems with some of the cheaper glues and tools.

Thats production, time, and money they could be spending elsewhere. They need to leave the hobby supplies out of it because they ask to much for way to little.

And who is out there buying this crap? the GW hobby supplies at my local store haven't sold! They sit there collecting dust. Selling that kind of crap only breeds discontent and GW will lose a lot of money in the end.

Lordgimpet
10-16-2010, 02:06 AM
What GW markets on is the accessability of it all and bank on the fact some are lazy and happy to pay the extra because it means they can find it all in one place, which is mostly applied to those new to the hobby,
eventually we all wizen up and shop elsewhere. A note on quality GW products suck the bigone in some areas as far as quality goes. Roughcoat.. which they don't do anymore surprise surpise.. and their super glue omg fantastic on fingers useless on everything else.

Here in Aus im totaly surprised they even have stores open anymore as most I know order online from Malestom even GW direct and even after shipping (assuming its not free) is still 1/3rd of the cost to buy in a local store and one does not have to deal with the jump in your face programed staff that laugh at you if you dont play anything imperial. :P

Brutal Brandon
10-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I will be buying the Vallejo set with case for $250.00.
Not only a much better value but a much better product.

I find myself resentful of and despising of GW.
In the past 20 years that I have dealt with them, they have shown limitless greed time and time again.

A lot of the peripheral products they sell are sub-par or junk compared to what the well read war gamer/painter choose to use in there pursuit of the hobby.

Do they have an "Official GW anal lubricant" they sell just before they penetrate you?

fuzzbuket
10-23-2010, 09:19 AM
@brutal brandom

yes vallejo paints are better in some cases Not OTHERS

For a flat coat GWs paints are superior due that vallejos are very thin and GWs washes and foundations are great.. how ever if you are working from a white undercoat or blending vallejos are just as good

EDIT: and at lest GW is good to say asda or revel --shudder-- yes you get more ye its cheaper yes it has a bigger hole and no lid/dropper for you clogged up brush.. yes its too glossy >:(

fuzzbuket
10-23-2010, 09:33 AM
what? i said that revel are utter bull.. and vallejo and GW are both good at making paints both of which are good at what they are meant to do.

-fuzz

Brutal Brandon
10-23-2010, 09:49 AM
My mistake, your miss spelling of my forum name obviously was a spelling error not an attempt to be disrespectful.

fuzzbuket
10-23-2010, 09:49 AM
oops sorry :P

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
10-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Lordgimpet have you heard of Military simulations in Bentleigh, Victoria, they constantly have GW for 20% off, i always shop there for anything larger than a blister pack. Hey when you pay $128 for a Baneblade instead of $165 its worth it.

Brutal Brandon, ease up mate, its not that hard to simply drop a N for a M when your a die hard Player on here, who plays, paints, gets lack of sleep, suffers insomnia, studies at uni or just works there Butt off.
Get used to that sometimes spelling mistakes happen, its not flaming you or anyone else for sometimes mistakingly spelling your name wrong....it happens ok.
He apologized atleast.

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Lordgimpet have you heard of Military simulations in Bentleigh, Victoria, they constantly have GW for 20% off, i always shop there for anything larger than a blister pack. Hey when you pay $128 for a Baneblade instead of $165 its worth it.

If I am not ordering stuff from Maelstrom, it will be from Military Simulations. Been shopping with them since 1993.

Brutal Brandon
10-30-2010, 12:25 PM
@ Sister Rosette Soulknyt... He miss spelled it as Brutal Boredom, but he clarified it as a mistake.