PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Paint Station

Chapel
10-09-2010, 05:32 AM
I just bought Assault on Black Reach set after reading 40k for quite some time and wanted to try my hand at painting/modeling, I had my eye on the Mobile Paint Station from Games Workshop, but I went to order it last week and noticed they took it off their site, not sure if its discontinued or replacing it with something else. Does anyone have a suggestion for someone like me that doesnt have an extra room or space to buy a dedicated desk to paint? I've looked on the net without any luck.

Thanks.
Chapel

Mal
10-09-2010, 07:05 AM
I don't have a dedicatged desk, I have a couple of old biscuit tins full of paints and just pick out the ones im using and paint on an old wodden chopping board... I can set up anywhere in a matter of minutes and it doesn;t matter if I get any glue/paint spillages as wood is an absorbant material so its not going to run everywhere (well inks/washes may, depending on the size of your board).

lobster-overlord
10-09-2010, 07:18 AM
The GW paint station is an over priced piece of MDF board. You can set one up for much less and be just as happy. Although I do ahve the GW pS, I got it at cost, so it wasn't a stretch to the budget like retail would be. It works well, but it absorbs paint and glue worse than a regular desk, so the belmishes are permanent and you have to scrape/sand off glue messes.

John M.

Duke
10-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Here is what I do and it works out excellent.

1. Purchase a fishing tackle box: This allows you to keep your paints and tools in the main container and bits for your current project(s) in the area for the hooks and weights.

2. Purchase a TV dinner table: This allows you to paint anywhere in your home where you have a chair, and it is the perfect size for working on one squad/tank/character at a time.

3. Purchase a beed container box: I found mine at Hobby Lobby. They are perfect for putting all your bits cause they have so many small separate containers.

4. Purchase a table lamp: Preferably one that is clip on as it can clip onto the side of the TV dinner table.

I have plenty of space in my hoome to paint at, I even have a "dedicated painting table," that is an old writing desk... I greatly prefer the TV dinner table over the big one cause the big one gets really messy! lol

Hope this helps, if you really want Ill post pics.

Duke

isotope99
10-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Here are some of my paint station equivalents:

Palette = DVD box, preferably white
Water pot = cheap mug from supermarket
Original bits box = Flat tool box with adjustable compartments ( Now I have too many bits to fit into just one)
Paint box = Old lids/bases of GW boxed sets