PDA

View Full Version : IA9 - Badab, quick review

Gotthammer
10-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Epically full review up on my blog. (http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com/2010/10/full-review-imperial-armour-9-badab-war.html)

My copy of IA9 arrived today and I've given it a once over:

Story

Best IA book yet. The first half is setting the scene, describing how the events of the war came to be and imparting lots of info about the Imperial Tithe, 'normal' marine activities (not crusading) and the interaction between the Administratum and Astartes.

When the war starts the actions are describe concisely, but still manage to be action packed. One of my favourites involved a team of Raptors wearing customised armor for stealth to infiltrate and shut down (with extreme prejudice) an orbital defence station. There are many more examples of marines doing more than drop-podding or rhino-rushing, so it's good to see them getting some character there.

The chapter backstory sections are good, though they get a bit samey with the loyalists mostly being 'super hardline and noble' types. However this fits with who would respond first to a renegade Chapter. Another good part is that they have the 'nobler' chapters being re-deployed mid-war, obstensibly to refit and rebuild, but with the implication that it is to bring in more psycho chapters who will have the stomach to wipe out their brothers.
Like the Minotaurs - who are total lunatics, announcing their appearance in the war by annihilating a renegade world, and then reducing a sector's civilian population by 20% through collateral damage in four months. Apparently the Spaaaace Shaaarks are worse, but they don't appear yet.

The art is wonderful, with a starchart updating as the story progresses as to who controls where. Also there are lots of little callout boxes with tidbits and asides about minor factors, such as navigators, what the deal is with the Tigers Claws, what the Mechanicus is doing and so on.

Rules

The boarding action rules look fun - they're an add on like Cities of Death, where you play with strategems and special terrain setups. There are rules for vacuum fighting (Str4+ get rending, blasts are pinning), and even on outer hulls (you can get blasted into space!).
To add into it there are even rules for the 'shipquakes', as the defending vessel starts to fall apart. The writers suggest playing with planetstrike for a super deadly and anarchic game.

There is a campaign system, which has several special missions for it (though they are optional, but you can play 'The Angstrom Incident'). I haven't given it too much of a look over, but it seems ok.

'Lords of Destruction' covers 12 special characters, and the 'Tyrant's Legion' army list. The army list is prettymuch the standard FW marine list: Marines + human auxillary, though obstensibly loyalist this time around.

Downsides

There are the usual FW formatting issues. I found a few places that could have done with commas, and one totally incomprehensible sentance. Decimate was used a couple of time when the implication seemed to be more like annihilate.
Also a bug seems to have got squished in the binding machine... I was noticing these weird glossy lines on the edges of the pages, and then I found a small blood smear and what seemed to be the crushed remains of a fly or the like. Brutal, like the old KISS comic that proclaimed the band mixed their blood with the ink for printing. Or FW are very slowly falling to Khorne worship.

Overall

Probably one of the best books they've done, but I am a lifelong Marine player so I am biased. If you have no interest in Marines it is basically useless to buy, but worth borrowing for a read. Marine players will probably love it, and I'm giving it a 9.5/10.

Also there is indication there will be new Terminators on the war from FW - there is a pic of a termie with a Mk5 style helmet, studded shoulders and kinda hooked lightning claws (with a chainblade in the palm). I know someone posted a pic or mentioned seeing it at Games Day, but I can't find where. It doesn't seem to be a special character either.

Culial
10-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Hi Gotthammer,

Thanks for this review, the book sounds great, especially the outer hull battles!
Oh, and the Angstrom Incident.
Well, most of it to be honest!

Could I possibly just pick your brains about something that's got me worried?
Are there new Red Scorpions rules presented in this book?

I've already dropped £110 on two FW books and two SM Codecies to play my army, and though I'm very interested in this book, it's probably going on my Christmas list as funds are a little tight at the mo.
I'm rather hoping I won't have to part with another £45 to keep using my force and can grab this for fun when I can, rather than necessity...

DadExtraordinaire
10-09-2010, 02:00 AM
I second the great review and I too have a question does the book provide break down of the Novamarine chapters forces?

Thank you

Dru
10-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Red scorpions only get an update to cullen , he is now chapter master. he can drop combat tactics to allow tactical squads to take Apothecary instead of v.Sar at no cost. so the tactical squads can have FnP.
However every red scorp shown has mk.4 armour on , apparently the chapter has a home world , but tends to go off for long stretches, so has a fleet. One of the ships can actually make mk.4 armour , so I think its implied all the marines wear it . ( which is harsh because I’m just about to start playing again and bought this book to do a theme red scorpion army, and i don’t really want to fork out for resin kits to make the whole army mk.4)

There is not a break down as such, but Captain Baylock makes assault and standard termie squads scoring units.

I think I might paint up some raptors

Culial
10-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the info Dru,

Have to admit, I'm gutted :(
Oh well, time to dust off the Termies and play a Deathwing list for a while, the Culln models makes a very impressive Belial & I get to legally use a Terminator Apothecary!

and as for the 'all in MK IV', I must have around 5,000pts of Scorpions, and only my Vets & Vet. Sergeants are in it and at £20 per demi-squad I don't see that changing! :p

*edit*
After spending hundreds of pounds on the models, as well as the two previous books featuring the rules for the Scorps, I can't help but feel that Forge World are taking advantage of my good nature by releasing a third iteration of them... :mad:

Dru
10-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Apparently part 2 has more new tanks etc,if you take cullen you do get to give your tactical squads feel no pain for like free. That is kind of amazing.

Culial
10-09-2010, 06:16 AM
I agree, free Feel No Pain is very nice!
And for free? Aces!
But I've had my rules invalidated...again!
And the last 'update' for them was Vraks II, where I got a whole half-page, a single unit entry, for my £45 investment.

Really starting to get smegged off with FW...

Gotthammer
10-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Well it's not really a change as it's only if you take Chapter Master Culln. He's just like any other special character for Space Marines (if he's in your army this happens...), and doesn't invalidate any of the older lists anymore than it does the main codex.
The new Librarian gets to use three powers a turn (though only once each) and has a unique power that makes his artificer armour save invulnerable. He can also take an honourguard squad as he's a badass.

DadEx, the background section on the Novamarines talks of them being superstrict followers of the Codex Astartes, even though their companis are scattered about the galaxy. They also rigidly adhere to their ways, and their battle honours and such are nearly indistinguishable from those of the Ultramarines. It also says they have a full company of terminators, and lots of tanks and rarer pre-heresy equipment in good nick (including Dreadnought chassis dating to the Crusade).

Other tidbits include they are hardline and have been known to draw blood against other Chapters deviations to the Codex, and have ties to Monodomonant Inquisitors. The troops follow a martial practice of tattooing themselves with their battle honours, believing it to be a form of 'soul armour', and that it is their honour roll that the Emperor will read when they die.

Culial
10-09-2010, 08:56 AM
So I can still use the Vraks rules?
Phew!
You've made my day, thank you Gotthammer!
:D

Really looking forward to this book after your insights, it's back to being a fun background book with the added bonus of being able to blow other Astartes into space and letting me field some interesting new characters.
Sweet!

deadmanwade
10-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Are there special characters for chapters other than the Red Scorpions and Astral Claws, and do they give out different chapter tactics? (ie are they all Ultramarine clones?)

Dru
10-09-2010, 10:28 AM
All forces involved will get at least one special, the book states, but some will be in book 2 .
Howling Griffons - chaplain dread
Astral claws - Lugft , a company captain and their master of the forge
Marines errants - captain , give one tact squad a couple of universal special abilities(Move through cover & scout) , also gives that squad a bonus for the ship fighting rules.
Red scorps - an upgraded cullen and their chief librarian.
Fire angels - a captain that allows CT to be replaced with tank hunter and all rhinos get the extra armour upgrade.
Raptors - chapter master with a fairly amazing bolter and can replace CT with stealth. (i like this one the best)
Lamenters - chapter master (uses the blood angel codex , apposed to all the other armies which use the standard codex space marines)
Novamarines - Captain , makes termies (both types) scoring
Firehawks - captain (possibly the best model for the points) jet pack, sort of a relic blade, replaces CT with free twin linked flamers and heavy flamers, assault squads and vangaurd count as scoring.This character nearly made me start this chapter, but its such a horrible paint scheme.

other chapters and their specials are in the second book, along with some new tank types apparently. The assault ram , i assume is in there.

Gotthammer
10-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Epically full review up on my blog. (http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com/2010/10/full-review-imperial-armour-9-badab-war.html)

rbgm01
10-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Is there something about the Sons of Medusa? mentioned in the book

Gotthammer
10-09-2010, 11:00 PM
No, book 2.

egorene
10-10-2010, 01:50 PM
May i ask how the nova marine captain is built ?
I mean t-armour , or servo ? power weapon ?

There i have a novamarine army i would like to built him .
My copy of IA9 still hasnt arrived

Gotthammer
10-10-2010, 11:54 PM
He's got Terminator armour, Iron Halo, storm botler and master-crafted Chainfist. His description notes he's brave, even for an astartes. He also has little love for glry or titles, and escews the many honours he's entitled to (my guess is he'd not be very blinged out). He's also known as "the Stormbreaker".

erwos
10-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Seriously, crushed bug in the binding? Send FW an email and ask for a new book. Not acceptable.

I like the boarding action scenario bits; that could be interesting.

Gotthammer
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
It's a small red smear about half a centimetre long and a couple of mill wide. The corpse flicked off with no trouble - it likely flew in the collating/binding machine so there was prettymuch no way they'd find it. No biggie really - I just thought it was funny.

eldargal
10-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Hm your review has made me want to buy a copy and I have little interest in marines vs marines. Are you sure you don'y work for Forge World?:p (joke)

Gotthammer
10-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I wish! :D

and my bank acount wishes I did too ;)

egorene
10-11-2010, 11:28 AM
thank you , that sounds interessting .

Dru
10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
The colour schemes for the chapters I found a let down , lots of metal and blue .I do love the look of that termie . I have a feeling it might be a charector . It's like a mk5 helmet , in dread armour , with cut away shoulder pads .the armour looks grey green like the raptors

david5th
10-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Great book.

bb-dawg
10-18-2010, 01:32 PM
The idea of boarding actions sounds damn exciting. Can't wait to read this one to get new scenario ideas!

DadExtraordinaire
10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
DadEx, the background section on the Novamarines talks of them being superstrict followers of the Codex Astartes, even though their companis are scattered about the galaxy. They also rigidly adhere to their ways, and their battle honours and such are nearly indistinguishable from those of the Ultramarines. It also says they have a full company of terminators, and lots of tanks and rarer pre-heresy equipment in good nick (including Dreadnought chassis dating to the Crusade).

Other tidbits include they are hardline and have been known to draw blood against other Chapters deviations to the Codex, and have ties to Monodomonant Inquisitors. The troops follow a martial practice of tattooing themselves with their battle honours, believing it to be a form of 'soul armour', and that it is their honour roll that the Emperor will read when they die.

Wow, thank you Gotthammer for the detailed reply. It is appreciated. Looks like I will be adding this to the "kids" Xmas list :cool:

Just out of curiosity Gotthammer does the book have many illustrations in particular colour illustrations of the Novamarines? Thank you in advance.:o