PDA

View Full Version : Ultramarines Movie Release Date and Pre-Orders Available Now

Brass Scorpion
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Ultramarines Newsletter - Issue 011 is being distributed today and announces that the movie is now available for pre-order with a release date of November 29, 2010. Read all about it at this link (http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/news/2010-10-08/ultramarines-movie-release-announced?utm_source=Ultramarines%3A+The+Movie&utm_campaign=a2f1c0c4e2-Mailer11&utm_medium=email).

http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/character_image/gallery/fullgroup2.jpg

Galadren
10-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Seriously tempted to get the Collector's Edition for the graphic novel alone.

wittdooley
10-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm going to buy it, but is there really no Blu Ray option?!?!?

BlackKnight15624
10-08-2010, 10:12 AM
The store link doesn't work for me! Oh noes!

Dang, and I really want to order this.

Brass Scorpion
10-08-2010, 10:17 AM
The store website has been crashed for most of the day due to heavy traffic and first day glitches.

N0rdicNinja
10-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I predict the movie will be lackluster, mediocre at best. But I'll throw my money at them anyway, for no other reason then to support the idea of a Warhammer movie.

robertsjf
10-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Can blu ray really improve mid 90's circa cgi?

N0rdicNinja
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Can blu ray really improve mid 90's circa cgi?

Yah, the animation really is... meh. =\

Not unwatchable, but it's definitely gonna grind on me at first.

Duke
10-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Wow, gotta love nerd whining. I know ill buy it, not going to say that I'm not going to like it or not yet though.

Duke

wittdooley
10-08-2010, 10:52 AM
This isn't pixar fellas. I think it looks more than competent.

Doomgrin
10-08-2010, 10:56 AM
As for the CGI, rmember you are also looking at lower-res versions for previews.

N0rdicNinja
10-08-2010, 10:57 AM
GW Should contract Blur to do a movie, that **** would sell!

emperorsaxe
10-08-2010, 01:03 PM
MMMMMM good news just in time ofr your christmas shopping pleasure. Im down with count me in, been waiting awhile for this anyway.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

emperorsaxe
10-08-2010, 01:17 PM
As a matter of fact I just placed my advanced order and had no problems with the website was good to go. Cant wait this should be good.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

david5th
10-08-2010, 01:21 PM

I don't like your tone sir. It has reason and logic and this debate is no place for either.;)

VENNgeance
10-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Just pre-ordered mine!! No problems with getting onto the site or placing my order either... This is going to be one hell of an XMas, what with the new Dark Eldar as well!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the graphic novel that comes with the collectors edition too, should be interesting...

AVE IMPERATOR!!

phoenix01
10-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I am so getting this once they fix the webstore issues. And better yet, I told my wife it was 25.99, but I didn't tell her that was British pounds and not US dollars.

robertsjf
10-08-2010, 02:12 PM

I don't like your tone sir. It has reason and logic and this debate is no place for either.;)

Pft, it's an opinion. I'm buying the DVD, but convince me that they couldn't do a better job with the cgi.

Duke
10-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I am so getting this once they fix the webstore issues. And better yet, I told my wife it was 25.99, but I didn't tell her that was British pounds and not US dollars.

Lol, which is a great idea until she checks the bank statement or signs into the blind banking...

Duke

athanor
10-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I bought one- no problems. Thanks for the link!

Fool< >Money

david5th
10-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Pft, it's an opinion. I'm buying the DVD, but convince me that they couldn't do a better job with the cgi.

I know it's a an opinion. I was being sarcastic hence the ;). I said it because so many people seem to whine and complain thats it's not up to the same quality as pixar or dreamworks.

They could do better but i think considering time and budget limits they have done quite well. I pre-ordered mine yesterday.:)

N0rdicNinja
10-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I know it's a an opinion. I was being sarcastic hence the ;). I said it because so many people seem to whine and complain thats it's not up to the same quality as pixar or dreamworks.

They could do better but i think considering time and budget limits they have done quite well. I pre-ordered mine yesterday.:)

Sharing a critique doesn't make you a whiner, I'm pretty sure most if not all of the "whiners" specified they were getting the film. Everything has good and bad qualities.

And you don't need to be Pixar or Dreamworks to make good animation *cough*Blur (http://www.blur.com/)*cough*, these guys are over a decade behind the curve. It doesn't mean I'm not excited to see it.

MarneusCalgar
10-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I´ve just also ordered mine...

energongoodie
10-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Ordered mine. I'm looking forward to watching it now far more than I was when I first heard about it. I'm hoping this is the first of many 40k dvds, assuming this one is ok.

david5th
10-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Sharing a critique doesn't make you a whiner, I'm pretty sure most if not all of the "whiners" specified they were getting the film. Everything has good and bad qualities.

And you don't need to be Pixar or Dreamworks to make good animation *cough*Blur (http://www.blur.com/)*cough*, these guys are over a decade behind the curve. It doesn't mean I'm not excited to see it.

Once again i have seemed to offend people without even realising it. For that i apologise.

my first post was not being crtical of wittdooley's opinion, merely reinforcing it an a sarcastic kind of way. I totally agree with it.

my second post could have possibly worded better without the use of Whiners but at the time it's all i could think of, the moment the full length trailer came out all i could seem to see & hear was people complaing at how bat it looked.

Blur could do better but we have got to work with what we have got.

I am aware that this post will probably offend someone so sorry in advance.

robertsjf
10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I am aware that this post will probably offend someone so sorry in advance.

I'm offended by your apology in advance!

NeilBrimelow
10-11-2010, 10:29 PM

You're not going to want a Blu Ray of this movie since the final CGI quality is actually lesser than most current video games. I seriously doubt if the movie is even rendered at 720p. That, and it's only 75 min. long.

I could pay $10 bucks to support the movie, maybe $15. But $40 + Shipping? No, thanks.

DarkLink
10-11-2010, 10:56 PM

Part of the problem is cost. While animation has indeed gotten better and better, the cost of that quality has also risen considerably. GW probably didn't spend very much money on this movie (or spent all of their budget on the actors), and so couldn't afford that great of animation.

Once again i have seemed to offend people without even realising it. For that i apologise.

No need to apologize. If someone misunderstands you and gets offended, that's their problem. Everyone just needs to remember that it's easy to be misunderstood when you only have text and smilies to communicate with. Short of openly insulting someone, you shouldn't assume that the other person is trying to be rude.

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Part of the problem is cost. While animation has indeed gotten better and better, the cost of that quality has also risen considerably. GW probably didn't spend very much money on this movie (or spent all of their budget on the actors), and so couldn't afford that great of animation.

That is a good point. I remember when production companies were getting excited about computer animation, believing that it was going to make movies cheaper. Well, special effects cheaper. It's done the opposite, as it's very expensive.

robertsjf
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Word around the campfire is GW spent exactly 0 pounds sterling on this.

Galadren
10-12-2010, 11:40 AM
...so wait. It's collector's edition only?

Brass Scorpion
10-12-2010, 11:46 AM
There will eventually be a less expensive "regular" version after they market the limited Collector's Edition.

david5th
10-12-2010, 11:50 AM
...so wait. It's collector's edition only?

I think this video will explain everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhzi8PvDYw

Aldramelech
10-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Just ordered mine, cant wait.

Hexx
10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
i think this video will explain everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhhzi8pvdyw
win link good sir :d

emperorsaxe
10-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Personally myself it doesnt matter if its about the money, I'm just glad that this "long" awaited movie is finally being released, this sort of thing has been talked about and talked about since the late 80's. Thank You Codex Piuctures for finally bringing these charcters to "life" no matter the format. They get a big thumbs up from me for this one.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Personally, I'd rather a two-hour long movie of Dark Eldar torturing people ;)

Melissia
10-14-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm not so sure I'm optimistic about this.

Not like I was before, but all of the previews have been... mediocre at best. Not really even in a good artistic style...

DrLove42
10-14-2010, 06:49 AM
I'll wiat till the first reviews from you lot and other gamers come in before i lok at it. It might be alright if you can get over the cg

eldargal
10-14-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm not particularly interested in it, though I hope it does well so there are more. I'm tempted to buy a copy just to spite the people who are judging it without seeing it, though.:rolleyes:
The new trailer isn't too bad, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it looks better on the television than in a small online clip. Also, good to hear Macragge pronounced, so I can force an idiot at my gaming group to pronounce it properly instead of saying "Merr-kragg-ee" which is really very irritating.

tiberius183
10-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Personally, I'd rather a two-hour long movie of Dark Eldar torturing people ;)

...you mean Passion of the Christ?

Aldramelech
10-15-2010, 01:35 AM
The way I see it, you aint gonna get Hollywood interested in spending large amounts on any kind of GW based film unless this kind of thing does well and exceed's expectations (money wise).

I see this as an investment in the future, if its crap, Ill wait a couple of years and put it up on Ebay (collectors edition, should get my money back at least), If its good then Ive got a cool film and Ive done my bit to get this sort of thing to the mainstream. Cant loose really.

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-15-2010, 04:38 AM
...you mean passion of the christ?

lol

Cyberscape7
10-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Lol it comes out same day as golden sun3

imperialsavant
10-15-2010, 10:21 PM
The store website has been crashed for most of the day due to heavy traffic and first day glitches.

:( Yeah every time I tried to order one it told me my basket was EMPTY!:confused:

Brass Scorpion
11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Latest announcement from Codex Pictures:

Movie Only Available From Codex Until Spring 2011!

The Ultramarines movie is available only as part of the Special Edition Collector's Set from the official movie website and will not be for sale anywhere else before Spring 2011 earliest. To be amongst the first to see it - and own the specially commissioned graphic novel prequel - visit the online shop here. (http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/shop?utm_source=Ultramarines%3A+The+Movie&utm_campaign=5d04ec6726-Mailer-13&utm_medium=email)

Ultramarines-Nate
11-08-2010, 07:58 PM
We just got the Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie Special Collector's Edition Box Set here in the North American office. We decided to put it next to the other 40K material to see how it stacks up.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1709/ultramarinesunbox4.jpg

I think that SteelBook with the Aquila looks pretty awesome all embossed and official.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8017/ultramarinesunbox5.jpg

The prequel graphic novel was written by Dan Abnett and includes a certain xeno species who only needs 5 - 10 square meals a day.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6664/ultramarinesunbox6.jpg

The graphic novel looks spectacular. But we would say that. Let me know what you think.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/742/ultramarinesunbox8.jpg

Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie looks right at home surrounded by demons and the Black Legion.

Pre-order the movie right now so that you can have it first http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/

Thanks to our friends at The Tower Games Center (http://thetowergames.com/) in Lawrenceville, GA.

BuFFo
11-08-2010, 08:13 PM
What, no screen shots of the movie's 2002 era computer graphics?

Tynskel
11-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Yeah? Sorry man, but I kinda don't want Pixar to do this one.
Besides, the cast is awesome.

Defenestratus
11-09-2010, 07:56 AM

+1

The only saving grace for this movie is the fact that Abnett wrote the script. That being said, I still preordered it because if it doesn't do well, we wont ever get a top production quality 40k movie.

KingFelix
11-11-2010, 07:05 AM
I watched the second trailer... and its not massively high budget, but there is hope that the story stays true to the lore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vF_VLZotWc

I hope this is the first of many... as has been said many times. We can only hope one day for a LOTR style realisation of The Horus Heresy.

Latro_
11-11-2010, 07:21 AM

Did you really think GW was going to invest millions and millions of pounds on something that might flop and bring the company to its knees?

Dont want to flog a dead horse with this but comeon take it for what it is and move on, no its not avatar and these kinda comments just sap the enthusiasm of gw to do anything like this ever again.

+if a big film company asked to use gw's ip and they made a big budget film it'd capture none of the universe we know and love it'd be mass market appeal and then we'd all complain the stroy was rubbish

rant over sorry buffo man not ranting at you its just i know a lot of the folks involved read what the community is saying online and it can be pretty hurtful, you woudlent post a model in the painting forum an expect 'dude that paint job freakin sucks!' same thing.

doghouse
11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
GW don't really have anything to lose though because they aren't paying for it. The crowd is split on this one, both sides are entitled to their point of view but I have to agree with BuFFo on this one.

No idea why they're only doing a pre-christmas special edition release with this, I don't think it's worth selling out the extra cash for that tin and graphic nove just to see it early.
If it truly was made for the fans as they say then we wouldn't have to buy this or wait six months for the regular dvd release.

Jezlad
11-11-2010, 12:07 PM
We've been invited to go see the movie at a special advanced screening in London this weekend.

I'll be posting my review and any other information I find on Heresy-Online but I'll duplicate it here. I'm going into this with an open mind, I've always cared more for plot and atmosphere in movies than rediculous ott action sequences.

I've done a few films too, Age of Heroes, Inbred and recently worked as a CIA Agent on the latest Xmen - First Class ($125 million budget) so I've seen a few sights in the industry!

Looking forward to this one.

StraightSilver
11-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Also managed to get a ticket to London Premier tomorrow so will let people know what I think. :)

Jezlad
11-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Shed loads of views and opinions up on Heresy now guys. http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=786376

Was a great experience, What I would like to say though is the naysayers can rest assured that the animation is not as bad as first feared. On the contrary in fact, the level of character detail is pretty impressive. The facial expressions are good too with some great touches.

I'm not going to share plot specifics but there's a nice twist and the stakes are epicly high for our protagonists. It's a very well directed movie too with some great shots thrown in that really stand out. One in particular springs to mind looking down the barrel of a boltgun and a silhouette viewed in a puddle. Props to Martyn Pick, top drawer.

The overall style is impressive with a few "box art" shots thrown in. They've reproduced some of the scenes on the boxset covers which was a nice nod to me as a wargamer and GW in general.

The landspeeder isometric shot is pretty breathtaking. The speeder overall was great. *cries for his 4th edition speeder spam army*

Great effort.

eldargal
11-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Have to say, very pleased with the largely (overwhelmingly?) positive reponses to the preview screening. So much so I'm going to pre-order it, despite the lack of Eldar.:)

chronicfathead
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't know why people are grumbling about the price, as in the grand scheme of things, it's a lot less than most GW models. That's how I'm looking at it. It's going to bring it to life, and in the end I'll have a 40K collectible.

If I thought of this as just another film, I wouldn't buy it, but this is like owning another GW book or codex.

Defenestratus
11-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Anyone else just get this email?

Dear ly beloved

RE: Order #######

Unfortunately, due to a production issue outside of our control, we are not able to start shipping your order for the ULTRAMARINES DVD Collector's Set today, November 29th as planned. We are working around the clock with our third party suppliers to resolve the issue as soon as possible and hope to be able to give you details of a new ship date tomorrow.

oni
11-29-2010, 02:52 PM
The 29th has come and gone and here we are... no movie in hand, no shipping confirmation emails, no announcements... nothing!

Defenestratus
11-29-2010, 02:55 PM
See post above yours. I just got that email saying that its not shipping. Go figure.

WTG GW. You wouldn't have to worry about silly things like, shipping on time, with a major Hollywood studio now would you? :P

oni
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Yes, I just got the email too.

energongoodie
11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
I just saw my e-mail. Unbelievable
Muppets.
I really want it to be good but these guys seem a bit amateurish. Thats the impression I got when I have seen them at various fairs and conventions. This kind of proves it.

Mike X
11-29-2010, 03:34 PM
I just got the same email!

heartbitt
11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Yep. Same here !!!

Aldramelech
11-30-2010, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately Guys England has pretty much come to a complete standstill due to heavy snow, I suspect this is the reason for the delay.

energongoodie
11-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Unfortunately Guys England has pretty much come to a complete standstill due to heavy snow, I suspect this is the reason for the delay.

Maybe the North of England. London's fine, Surrey is fine ( although I am keeping a wary eye on the window as it has started snowing). They are listed as a London company.
Plus, this delay was always going to happen. They emailed us before the snow fell. They just muffed up. Simple.

eldargal
11-30-2010, 05:28 AM
There could be any number of reasons why this ha occurred, to simply blame human error on no basis whatsoever is silly. Anyone who has worked with any product requiring widespread distribution and based on several sub-contractors (a magazine in my case*) knows any number of things can go wrong. Contrary to what some people are saying on other forums, these issues do affect large companies also.

*One issue had a serious printing defect found at the last minute, the printer had another contract on the go and couldn't reprint for over a week. The result was the magazine was sent out to subscribers and retailers two weeks after it ought to have. At other times they have been able to reprint immediately, sometimes bad things happen.

Aldramelech
11-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Dont know what country your living in energongoodie, Not the same England I live in, its been snowing all week and I live in the Southwest. The Distribution is being handled from Street in Somerset (Near Glastonberry) and nowhere near London.

Even if this isnt the cause, would you rather they shipped you a faulty product?

MarneusCalgar
11-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Same in Spain... Is snowing heavily and I also received the delay mail yesterday...

Hope it isn´t longer than a week or two!!

david5th
11-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Anyone else just get this email?

Yes, not happy about it.

energongoodie
11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Dont know what country your living in energongoodie, Not the same England I live in, its been snowing all week and I live in the Southwest. The Distribution is being handled from Street in Somerset (Near Glastonberry) and nowhere near London.

Even if this isnt the cause, would you rather they shipped you a faulty product?

I hope you haven't been to disrupted by the snow. Over here in Surrey we have only had a light dusting. I think it's worse a bit further East.
As for the faulty product, of course not. But I'm not big on delays. Just do the job properly.

Defenestratus
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Just got this

RE Order ##########

As we advised yesterday, due to a production issue outside our control, we were not able to start shipping the complete Ultramarines DVD collector’s set on November 29th 2010 as planned.

We have teams in the UK, US and Europe working around the clock to resolve the issue.

At this time, we are hoping that orders can start to ship next week. In the meantime, we will keep you informed as soon as we receive more information.

Aldramelech
11-30-2010, 03:57 PM
I would applaud Codex for keeping us so well informed, not many companies would.

MarneusCalgar
11-30-2010, 05:43 PM
I´ve also received today the new mail Defenestratus has posted short ago...

Good they´re keeping us informed the right way!!

Hope it´s true they start the shippings next week

TSINI
11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
yeah, shame about the delay, but oh well

Manure Occureth

still, makes it more of a self-xmas prezzy :D

energongoodie
12-01-2010, 03:22 AM
I would applaud Codex for keeping us so well informed, not many companies would.

I've calmed down a bit now and your right. I am glad they e-mailed us. I'd rather now there was a problem than wonder where my dvd is.

Artein
12-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Meh, it happens. Problems do happen. It's not that I need this movie right now. I can wait. :cool:

lobster-overlord
12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
How many years have most waited? What's a week right? ;-)

Is it available yet in a non-special edition box set? I only saw the link for the big set.

John M>

Artein
12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Normal edition will be available on.... January? Not sure.... somewhere next year.

Defenestratus
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
This just in.

RE Order ##########

We can now confirm that shipping of the Ultramarines DVD Collector’s Set will start next week. Orders will be prioritised according to the date that they were received. All orders placed should be shipped by the end of that week.

You will receive a confirmation email once your order has been dispatched and you can expect delivery within 2 – 4 days of that ship date.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for this delay. We do hope that you will soon be able to enjoy your Ultramarines movie.

Codex Pictures

Tynskel
12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
w00t!

I just placed my order! Woo Hoo Hoo!

Bigred
12-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Hey, we got an exclusive movie clip.

Enjoy folks. This is when the Ultramarines first encounter John Hurt's character. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvpgPJlF_Qk)

Defenestratus
12-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Voice acting sounds decent but the animation???

Holy crap it looks about as good as Final Liberation cutscenes! (not a good thing, look it up on YT)

TSINI
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
lol, at least it's not a live action movie like "inquisitor"

thats just awful!

i'm not too worried about the animation, as long as it gets the story across and gives us some good action bits. its no different from the star-wars animatioins except they're "arty" and this is "low budget"

in the end its the story telling thats important, and if codex keep it up they can only get more experience - in effect they'll have a company honing their animation skills tailoring towards 8ft tall super humans in suits of armour.

by the 3rd movie they should have this down and will be giving us the best animated space marines ever. lol

Galadren
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, not to worried about the animation. I want the story.

Farseer Uthiliesh
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah, not to worried about the animation. I want the story.

Well said.

Defenestratus
12-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Looks like mine has shipped.

Anyone else get notification or am I just a lucky one?

MarneusCalgar
12-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Looks like mine has shipped.

Anyone else get notification or am I just a lucky one?

I also got mine two hours ago!!

Now I only wait for it to arrive to Spain

Farseer Uthiliesh
12-09-2010, 01:18 AM
I received an email about ten hours ago informing me that my copy is on its way.

david5th
12-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I got an email about 19 hours ago informing me that my copy is on its way.

Brass Scorpion
12-10-2010, 11:55 PM
My copy of the movie came in the mail today. Interestingly, the package was shipped from Howell, Michigan. I just finished watching it for the first time and peeked at some extra features too.

I enjoyed it a lot. It's a bit simplistic, but then, so is 40K. The voice acting is terrific. The animation adequate. The atmosphere dark and miserable as GW created it. I think now that I know what to expect, I'll enjoy it even more on repeat viewings where I can start to pick out fun details I didn't have a chance to catch the first time through.

I already watched some of the extra features and they are quite good. Very interesting and entertaining in their own right.

One more thing, forget watching this movie on a tiny screen with a tiny speaker, watch it on your biggest TV and with a 5.1 sound system. The 5.1 soundtrack sounds FANTASTIC on a 5.1 system. You'll hear all kinds of stuff going around and behind you, it's quite well done.

Oh, one of the extra features has footage from Games Day US 2010 in Baltimore.

madlib
12-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I just got done watching the film and I think its brilliant. Dark, Gritty, very nice artwork, and the voice acting was phenomenal. The directing and cinematography was also really good. I have to give Martyn Pick props.

I honestly don't get what some of the nitpicking was all about. After having seen the film I'm very surprised by how poorly the trailers/clips portray the actual film.

I think most WH40k fans and in particular fans of Space Marines are going to enjoy it, regardless of what their initial feelings were after watching just the clips and trailers.

Defenestratus
12-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm glad its showing well.

I still don't have mine. Got a priority mail box on the door today - turned out it was a present from mum and not the DVD! Doh! I feel horrible now.