PDA

View Full Version : Damn Wolves - help neede plz

Fanbouy
10-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Hi there guys i was hoping someone could point me in the correct direction!

Basically i play with BA's. My friend has a really nasty wolves list that is really trancing us.

Basically its 2 long fang squads of 6 maxed with RL's, Logan so that he can use his abilities with one of these units. there is also a wolf guard in termie armour and cyclone launcher attached to one of the long fangs) A squad of grey hunters in a rhino, a scout squad with plasma and power weapon, a iron priest on wolf with S10 servor arm and power fist and about 4 lesser wolves and then a large squad of thunder wolf cav with priest and a guy with PF and shield.

tried a vindicator but those RL's just tear it up. So i am just looking for ideas to have a crack at this list with????
Thanks guys.:D

isotope99
10-08-2010, 04:19 AM
An outflanking flamestorm Baal or two could teach those long fangs a lesson in manners.

Also bust up his minimal troops and you're guaranteed at least a draw. Might force him to rebalance his army a bit.

Fanbouy
10-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Indeed good point, with out troops he cant win

Ordo
10-08-2010, 09:17 AM
the question is what do you have in your list. i play space wolves. so i can tell you how and what take out

blackarmchair
10-08-2010, 10:49 AM
What Ordo said. Blood Angels are one of the few armies I don't want charging my wolves; counter-charge be damned I5 Assault Marines are too much of a hit even for my puppies to handle.

Show us your list.

Duke
10-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Two words: sanguinary guard. Put a sang priest with a power weapon in the squad and watch your friend cry... Just avoid the plasma guns. Take Dante and deep strike right next to one of his wolves squads. Or take sanguinor and watch him cry as you annihilate his thunderwolves. Other great ideas are: 3 baal preds with assault canoons and heavy bolters. Just gang up on a squad or two each turn.

My friend plays wolves and this is how I generally handle him.

Duke

Nungunz
10-08-2010, 11:52 AM
If what you posted of that space wolf list is 100% correct, then his list is illegal as he only has 1 troop choice. SW scouts count as an elite choice, not a troop choice.

isotope99
10-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Logan makes the cyclone wolf guard troops... ...I think

DarkLink
10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Correct

Splug
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Sanguinary guard as mentioned are a good counter to missile spam. AP3 really isn't scary when you've got a 2+ save.

BA ML devastators are the same price as long fangs. You can fight fire with fire to some extent, then just outbuild the rest of his list.

Fanbouy
10-11-2010, 05:03 AM
Sang guard sounds like rather a good idea and i will throw in a squad to give them ago.

I have been playing for a while but have only recently picked up BA's again (i played them when rhino rush was still an issue) and i am trying to adjust my play style. For a few years i played chaos in a horde form and did rather well with them, but picking up my first army again i am coming to grips with a much smaller and far more aggressive army.

I dont really stick to one list as i am slowly going through the book with different combos etc to get a feel how each unit does etc.

What i used last were 2 x 6 man (incl sang priest) in razor backs with assault canons, 10 man *** squad w/JP's and a chaplian, baal pred , auto can and las can pred, 2 x furios in DP, scouts, capt with JP & LC's and a few other bits and bobs.

Tynskel
10-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Outflanking Flamestorm Cannons are your Friends--- moving 12" onto the board and roasting will work (just as long as they are not more than ~16" from the board edge).

I don't know if using Sanguinary Guard with Dante and a Priest would be a good idea. Logan is Hard as Nails, and has a solid chance of killing off the squad (or Dante in one blow). You could Deep Strike in with Plasma or infernus pistols--- but you are looking at a squad that is ~500+ points. Remember, you deep strike, but Logan will get the charge. If your opponent puts the Cyclone Launcher Wolf Guard in that squad with Logan, the two them alone should kill almost everyone (especially if he uses Preferred Enemy, and maybe pops the +1 attack).

Another option would be to combo the flamestorm with Sanginary Guard.

All intents n' purposes, it is hard to kill off a squad like that without investing a significant portion of your army to do it.

Duke
10-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Though Tynskel has a point about Logan being rock hard most people don't sit him with their long fangs... Your opponent may be different though. That said the Sang guard can still take Logan, just get the charge. 20 Master crafted power weapons + 5 power weapon attacks from the priest and 8 master crafted power weapon attacks from Dante will do the trick... If your really that worried throw in a Jump pack libby with Shield of sanguinius and Unleash rage and a jump pack.

yes it is an expensive unit, but I caouldn't being to go through the list of things that unit has survived and then killed.

Duke

Tynskel
10-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Another option is a Land Raider with Death Company and Chaplain!

Oh, I don't doubt the Sanguinary guard on the Charge--- they'll kill pretty much anything. You just gotta make sure you 1) get there, and 2) get the charge!

Legoklods
10-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Furioso Dread should also be able to do something crazy, when armed with blood talons.
Don't worry too much about MLs as they need 6s to penetrate...
A dread with a standard fist might be great against his thunderwolves:rolleyes:

Fanbouy
10-12-2010, 06:10 AM
A deep striking LR redeemer with DC/chap might be a fun idea, specially if there happens to be a beacon attached to a drop pod which has just dropped an irate DC dread.

That should get rid of 1 of the long fang squads and logan (he puts them with that sqd to pass on his abilities like tank hunter and slow and purposeful).

With them gone it should allow the rest of my force to move up and engage his wolves a little more intact. What is the best way to deal with these potential 24 inc move and charge beasties? I know there is a champ with a power fist and the iron priest with a power fist and S10 harnes attacks? The squad is about 7 or so strong and the priest has an extra 4 wolves following him around. Each guy is also kitted out differently so allocating wounds means it takes forever to kill a guy, specially being T5.

He is scared of vindicators but i was just worried about LF squads ripping it apart before it gets to do its thing.:confused:

YourMomsBox
10-14-2010, 07:33 AM
If you have the armor and want to move quickly, flank Baals with Flamestorm as stated, some Drop Pods with Deathwind ML's and Locator Beacons with Libby Dreads (both with Blood Lance, one with Shield, and the other with Wings, rush up your transports, pop smoke, keep your Vindicators behind the transports just enough to get a cover, but angle yourself to get the shot.

Ideally with the 2 Ord. shots from the DP's, you should help kill at least 1 or 2 models with a good scatter roll, then Vindi's will be in range for a good blast next, then Flame with the Baals, pop any tanks with Blood Lance on the Dreads. Drop some Assault Squads near the DP's with the beacons and then mop up whats left. This all comes in just under 1000 pts, have plenty left over for troops, HQ's, etc.

Should be able to be able to put a good hurt on him with the first 2-3 turns, that your troops will have an easy time with whats left.

Good luck.

Also, if the pods land right, they should block Long Fangs LOS, giving anything behind them a cover save. You might lose the pods and the Libby's, but the rest of your army is still solid. You could always exit the pods with your libby's behind, then use the Shield for a save.

trigger13
10-23-2010, 12:28 AM
i play a death company list that might work for going agaist the wolves its 2500 pts though u wont win alot in c/c games but kill point games this list has rocked for me
Astorath the Grim 220 pts

reclusiarch 130
melta bomb 5

Troops

death company ten man squads x3 600
all power weapons 450

dc dreadnoughts x3 375
blood talons free

elites

Chaplain 100
melta bomb 5

heavy support

gunships x3 600
assult cannons
twin link multi melta

miggles
10-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Logan makes units of Wolf guard Troops but when they split up they become part of the unit they are joined too. a Wolf guard with Cyclone attached to long fangs would be part of the heavy support unit.

Also you have to take a minimum of 3 Wolf guard if you are going to split them up into units. so from what you posted the list looks off.

rle68
10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
What Ordo said. Blood Angels are one of the few armies I don't want charging my wolves; counter-charge be damned I5 Assault Marines are too much of a hit even for my puppies to handle.

Show us your list.

thats not true bring the ba's on let them charge my ragnar, najl grey hunter squad with storm call on them ill eat them up please come get some even without SC, swinging same time my power weapons hitting easier then theres i will say 4-8 dead ba a turn AND THATS ONLY 2 OF 13 MODELS

rle68
10-29-2010, 07:47 PM
i play a death company list that might work for going agaist the wolves its 2500 pts though u wont win alot in c/c games but kill point games this list has rocked for me
Astorath the Grim 220 pts

reclusiarch 130
melta bomb 5

Troops

death company ten man squads x3 600
all power weapons 450

dc dreadnoughts x3 375
blood talons free

elites

Chaplain 100
melta bomb 5

heavy support

gunships x3 600
assult cannons
twin link multi melta

And thats why you get beat no long range anything in that list and 2500 points? yikes i stop at 1850 biggest tourney points out there besides ard boyz

you need 3 baal predators out there drop the power weapons for the baals and watch your fortunes change

MarshalAdamar
10-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Anything outflanking or drop one of those flying land raiders in their face and assault them AND block their L O S with the raider!

BlackSunShine
11-07-2010, 07:06 PM
I own both of these armies and created a list to out do each other, just in case i come across either armies in a tournament. My BA list is alot different from yours, everything DS and I use Vanguard w/jump pack so that they can attack when they DS. Plus i used alot of Death Company both with Jump Pack and the other group are in a StromRaven. Astorath the Grim is my chose for my HQ and is attach w/DC, reroll to hit and wound is a plus against ThunderCav. I hope that helps

incenerate101
11-11-2010, 08:16 AM
@miggles With Logan in the army ALL wolf guard become troops ( space wolves is my primary army of choice ) it doesnt matter what sqaud the guard are in.

To toast logan you have to outroll him. He has counter assualt so either way he will get the charge and if he runs a wolf priest in the squad with him he rerolls misses. If he isnt smart and keeps logan with long fangs then sang guard will toast him quick. For logan to be effective he HAS to be moving and smacking people around and staying out of the ranged combat. If you get him from a range, itll take alot of shots, but you will kill him.

One of my buddies i play on a regular basis runs Astorath with a squad of jump pack death company and utterly destroys everything i have. He usually gets caught up with Logan and puts a few wounds on him but everything counts against Logan.

So Hit logan from a range and be sure to get initiative on Logan or you will most likely die in Close Combat