PDA

View Full Version : something I found in an online guide

Lordgimpet
10-07-2010, 04:43 PM
As I trawl the web reading various play guides for 40k most of the time i find little tidbits or gems of info
that have me saying to myself, "wow never thought of that" or "thats a cool tip" but sometimes i stumble across things that feel somewhat dubious at best. I'll put it here and see what others think personaly I feel its a little cheesy and would cause an argument or 2.

Space Marine Psychic hood (and possibly the SpaceWolves staff) only function when a
model within 24' casts a power after passing the psy test. If you place your Psykers into a tank (such as a Falcon) then the Psyker is
no longer on the table and as such not a "model" when casting. The hood can only target the tank
(which is not casting a power) thus granting you complete immunity to the hood until you disembark. **
The Deamonhunters Hood is worded differently and works since it only cares about if a power was used
somewhere, but strangely enough only gets to BE USED when a >model< casts a power. So enjoy your
complete immunity all around, at least until you get shot out of the tank.

Tynskel
10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
p.66 you measure from the hull of the vehicle for the purposes of units inside. The model that is casting the power has to be within 24" of the hull of the transport.

memnarch_129
10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
@ Tynskel
What gimpet meant is that you put the person casting/using the psychic power in the tank. Since there is no model the hood/staff cant stop the psychic power.

Where there is support for this kind of shinanigans is in the Tyranid FAQ. Shadow in the Warp has been FAQed to not work on models that are inside of a vehicle. Since Shadow works in the same way as Psychic Hood, the Runic Staff, and pretty much every other psychic defense it could be argued that a vehicle stops ANY kind of psychic defense.

Tynskel
10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
it 'could' be argued.
Codex rules are independent rules sets of the main rulebook. In Fact, GW states that the rules in a Codex Trump the Rulebook. If you stand by that interpretation, then the Shadows of the Warp FAQ does not impinge upon Psychic Hoods (independent of each other, otherwise all wargear in all codexes would be the same). If the Main Rulebook was FAQed, stating Shadows and Hoods don't work against embarked models, then that would be the case.

Unfortunately, the only thing that was FAQed for the Main Rulebook is that in most circumstances, Psykers can cast powers while in vehicles. Nothing about Hoods.

SeattleDV8
10-07-2010, 10:36 PM
There is one problem with this fellows idea

If you place your Psykers into a tank (such as a Falcon) then the Psyker is
no longer on the table and as such not a "model" when casting.
This is not true in the 5th ed rules.
It is a hold over from the 4th ed rules where models in a transport were no longer 'on the table'.

As Tynsel correctly pointed out pg.66 allows the Hood to be used Within 24" for most Marines.
Dark Angels, DH and WH Psychic Hoods have no range ( and BT?).

Mike X
10-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Space Marine Psychic hood (and possibly the SpaceWolves staff) only function when a model within 24' casts a power after passing the psy test.

First problem with this "guide" is that it reads 24 feet instead of inches.

Second problem is a fluff one. A psyker would be able to detect another psyker in whatever range it is limited to, whether it's in a transport or not, because they use the ethereal plane to find targets, not just eyesight.

Lordgimpet
10-08-2010, 03:40 AM
yeah the guide is full of spelling errors but consistant ones like shurican etc I generally dismissed its as due to a language translation. Aside from the tip in my original post the guide is extensive and helpful. just this tip by the author stood out and got me thinking.
The author does note in other points in the article how the DH and WH null rods work.

Im just wondering how I should handle it more so if I face it, sure I play eldar I generally field Autarchs or Seers on jetbikes, but I do play marines every now and then.

SeattleDV8
10-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Ignore it, it's rubbish.

Tynskel
10-08-2010, 05:27 AM
There is one problem with this fellows idea

This is not true in the 5th ed rules.
It is a hold over from the 4th ed rules where models in a transport were no longer 'on the table'.

As Tynsel correctly pointed out pg.66 allows the Hood to be used Within 24" for most Marines.
Dark Angels, DH and WH Psychic Hoods have no range ( and BT?).

Black Templar don't have psykers! Abhor the Witch!

Burn Her!

Tirion
10-08-2010, 06:53 AM
First problem with this "guide" is that it reads 24 feet instead of inches.

Second problem is a fluff one. A psyker would be able to detect another psyker in whatever range it is limited to, whether it's in a transport or not, because they use the ethereal plane to find targets, not just eyesight.

Seriously man are you gonna pick on someone beacuse they forgot to hold down shift? but good point with the fluff

N0rdicNinja
10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Stuff like this is why I'm glad I only play friendly pick up games with people I know. The competitive scene would force me to pull my hair out. >.<; To each their own though, I know there are people who dig it.

SeattleDV8
10-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Black Templar don't have psykers! Abhor the Witch!

Burn Her!

Ahh thats why it seemed wrong, it was wrong.

Nungunz
10-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Space Marine Psychic hood (and possibly the SpaceWolves staff) only function when a
model within 24' casts a power after passing the psy test. If you place your Psykers into a tank (such as a Falcon) then the Psyker is
no longer on the table and as such not a "model" when casting. The hood can only target the tank
(which is not casting a power) thus granting you complete immunity to the hood until you disembark. **
The Deamonhunters Hood is worded differently and works since it only cares about if a power was used
somewhere, but strangely enough only gets to BE USED when a >model< casts a power. So enjoy your
complete immunity all around, at least until you get shot out of the tank.

In a casual game, just refuse to play them. In a tournament, they'd just get laughed out of the competition.

Range for the psychic hood is measured from the hull of the tank if the Librarian/Inquisitor/Grey Knight Hero/Rune Priests/etc is in a transport.

Deathtyrant
10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
it 'could' be argued.
Codex rules are independent rules sets of the main rulebook. In Fact, GW states that the rules in a Codex Trump the Rulebook. If you stand by that interpretation, then the Shadows of the Warp FAQ does not impinge upon Psychic Hoods (independent of each other, otherwise all wargear in all codexes would be the same). If the Main Rulebook was FAQed, stating Shadows and Hoods don't work against embarked models, then that would be the case.

Unfortunately, the only thing that was FAQed for the Main Rulebook is that in most circumstances, Psykers can cast powers while in vehicles. Nothing about Hoods.

So then by that same logic, since the faq on counterattack and furious charge is only in the space wolves faq..furious charge would stack with counter attack in any other codex.

Tynskel
10-09-2010, 10:49 PM
uh, no.

You need to demonstrate the precedent in the 40k Rulebook for USRs Stacking.

The reason the current FAQ for Space Wolves is written that way is due to a previous FAQ stating Counter Attack and Furious Charge do stack.

Deathtyrant
10-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Oh ok I understand.. its Faq's setting precedents for other armies is perfectly fine as long as it doesn't affect yours.... Got ya.

Tynskel
10-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Oh ok I understand.. its Faq's setting precedents for other armies is perfectly fine as long as it doesn't affect yours.... Got ya.

No No No!

FAQs ONLY effect the Book that is involved. If the 40k Rulebook had a FAQ stating that the USRs stack, then it would effect all armies.

The 40k Rulebook has no precedent for Stacking of USRs. Then, the first Space Wolves FAQ came out stating that FC and CA stacked--- in this case, this is ONLY for Space Wolves, because the FAQ was not for the General Rulebook. Afterward, they came out with a new FAQ for Space Wolves fixing the Previous FAQ for Space Wolves.

Deathtyrant
10-10-2010, 05:06 PM
But by that same logic... there is no rulebook FAQ stating that psychic hoods effect psychers embarked in transports either.

SeattleDV8
10-10-2010, 06:27 PM
But by that same logic... there is no rulebook FAQ stating that psychic hoods effect psychers embarked in transports either.

You have that backwards, the rules allow one to use the Hood after a enemy model passes a psychic test.
In order to stop that you need a specific rule , or FAQ.
There is no rule or FAQ, so you are allowed to use the Hood.

Psychic Hoods have no effect on a Psyker, it instead can (Codex :SM pg.56) "nullify an opposing psyker's power"

Which is why it is different from the 'Nid power, which does affect the psyker.
Tyranid FAQ
"Q: Does Shadow in the Warp affect psykers who are
taking a Psychic test whilst embarked within a
transport vehicle?
A: No."

Deathtyrant
10-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Ok. I'll bite.. show me your proof. If the rules say you can.. show me the rule that says so.

SeattleDV8
10-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Ok. I'll bite.. show me your proof. If the rules say you can.. show me the rule that says so.

I already did, SM Codex pg. 56
I can use a Hood every time a enemy passes a psychic test.
The only exception is the range.
I have proven I can use it.
It's up to you to show us why it can not be used at this point.

Deathtyrant
10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Because it doesn't specifically say that you can target psychic powers cast by psychics in transports.

SeattleDV8
10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Because it doesn't specifically say that you can target psychic powers cast by psychics in transports.

It also doesn't tell us we can use it on a unit in cover, a unit that is out of LOS or even if the model is painted blue, but we are still allowed to.

The rules give us permission to use an ability, they then will give us limits.
In this case being embarked does not limit the ability.
The only limit (for some Hoods) is range.

Sir Biscuit
10-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Look on page 66.

The page I refer everyone to, all the time.

"If the player needs to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicles hull."

So yes, by RAW the hood/staff will effect any psykers as long as any part of the transports hull is within range of the hood/staff.

Tyranids, however, work differently with Shadow in the Warp. Because their FAQ specifically prevents it for that ability, they cannot effect units in transports with it. That ruling, however, has no effect on psychic hoods or rune weapons, as they are different pieces of wargear and thus not limited by that FAQ ruling. Instead, we use the rules as written, in which case they do indeed function against transported units.

DarkLink
10-12-2010, 10:43 PM
It's worth noting that Shadow of the Warp doesn't work the same as psychic hoods. Similarly, sure, but not identically, so you can't necessarily draw a direct comparison. And frankly the SitW is a stupid ruling anyways...