PDA

View Full Version : Salamanders

sangrail777
10-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Salamanders have 7 Company's right.
1st is the Fire Drakes
7th is scouts?
How does this work?
How many are in the Company ie 100 or 200?

Andrew283
10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
The number of Companies were reduced after they took crippling losses against a Hive Fleet Leviathan SPlinter Fleet and during the 3rd war for Armaggedon where the Salamanders took the brunt of the impact.

sangrail777
10-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I just finished reading salamander and in the book it seemed as though there was a reason for the 7 companies as dictated by thier Primarch after the Herasy.
And still which of the Co.'s are battle companies and which are reserve and which is the scout?

AirHorse
10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I believe that there are seven companies because there are seven major settlements on Nocturne. Cant remember where I got this from but Im sure ive read it.

Their companies each have 120 battle brothers with the exception of the 7th(scout) company, which only maintains around 60 scouts. The battle companies (2-4) each have one additional tactical and devastator squad, making their count 7 tactical, 3 devastator and 2 assault squads. Both of their reserve companies(5 and 6) are made up of 8 tactical squads and 4 devastator squads.

Dont remember much about the fire drakes except that I think they brand themselves alot.

Andrew283
10-08-2010, 04:40 AM
The Firedrakes have some of the best armour and weapons in any 1st company due to the Forge skills that each marine from the chapter posseses. Hence why a typical Salamander force will have more Terminator armour and more master crafted weapons than almost anybody else

Tirion
10-08-2010, 07:00 AM
I believe that there are seven companies because there are seven major settlements on Nocturne. Cant remember where I got this from but Im sure ive read it.

Their companies each have 120 battle brothers with the exception of the 7th(scout) company, which only maintains around 60 scouts. The battle companies (2-4) each have one additional tactical and devastator squad, making their count 7 tactical, 3 devastator and 2 assault squads. Both of their reserve companies(5 and 6) are made up of 8 tactical squads and 4 devastator squads.

Dont remember much about the fire drakes except that I think they brand themselves alot.

This is all true. Each company recruites from a specific tribew from Nocturn, while Battle Brothers can be promoted from one company to another. they have an adnormaly large amount of veterans. The only thing I would point out is that ALL Salamanders brand themselves but only firedrakes brand their faces. The entire first company is all veterans.

Andrew283
10-08-2010, 08:54 AM
I really think that out of the remaining 1st Founding chapters, the Salamanders would be the best bet for a codex. We have our own Land Raider variants (Promethius), have a Strange company layout and would be the only genereicly green force out there (Barring those Greenskins obvcourse). Fluff wise they would be easy to write on with Vulkan He'stan's quest to find the remaining Relics of Vulkan, the War's of Armaggedon, why the company layout is such etc etc. C'mon GW, you know you wanna ;)

Tirion
10-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I really think that out of the remaining 1st Founding chapters, the Salamanders would be the best bet for a codex. We have our own Land Raider variants (Promethius), have a Strange company layout and would be the only genereicly green force out there (Barring those Greenskins obvcourse). Fluff wise they would be easy to write on with Vulkan He'stan's quest to find the remaining Relics of Vulkan, the War's of Armaggedon, why the company layout is such etc etc. C'mon GW, you know you wanna ;)

I know and the fans have been screaming for one for years but alas I don't think it will happen any time soon

AirHorse
10-09-2010, 06:16 PM

As much as that is true the salamanders are at heart a codex chapter and the main differences about them as a fighting force is the numbers and organisation of squads within the companies. Blood angels, while still a codex force, also field alot of unique squads and have a very distinguishing genetic trait. If the remaining salamanders characters got reestablished that would be much more appropriate i think :)