PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about playing...

Emohooker
10-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey all,
Im thinking about starting to play warhammer 40k, I have played Dawn of war, and I had a friend that played it a while ago, so I know the basics. so having said that...

Where is the best place to get started in finding places to go. I am located in Colorado Springs, Co.
How to start with the army. ( I like necron or tyranids)
How does the point system for units work?

These are enough to get me started. thanks in advanced.

Mystery.Shadow
10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
You've come to the right place friend!
There are people here who live, breathe, and [CENSORED] Warhammer 40k.

Although you may not be interested in playing Space Marines or Orks, I would recommend you pick up the Assault on Black Reach starter set. Included in the box is a Mini Rulebook*, Scatter Die, Templates, and much much more!!
* The Mini Rulebook has ALL the rules the Big Rulebook has, just in a smaller compact size (just omitting the fluff (backstory, painting tips, galleries, etc))

I hate to Forum-Jump, but the Original Post in the following thread is worth a read:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=129146

Looks like there are a few Games-Workshop stores in your area:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/storelocator/results.jsp?searchCat=store-finder&showIndependantRetailers=on&searchMode=filter&searchFilter=CO&origin=&return=null

Some in Colorado Springs. Your friend already plays, so you have an invaluable resource there. Dawn of War is a good example of how the game plays. So you're already familiar with what units are better in Close Combat vs the ones better at Shooting. Better units will cost more points than others, but don't dismiss the low-pointed grunt. Sure one high-powered shot can kill, but so can many many many small shots!

I'm sure you'll get a lot more input here. If you're interested in Tyranids, there are several boards out there dedicated to their playstyle. Same for Necrons (but I don't know of any, since I don't play Necrons)

Happy Gaming!

Mal
10-07-2010, 02:33 AM
Colorado Springs has an excellet list of gamers, espically for 40K and Fantasy... ancients is only really played in 15mm there however.

Necrons and tyranids eh? both good solid choices, you'll have trouble if you want to play in any ultra high competartive matches, but as a new player I somehow doubt you'll be jumping in that far off the deep end.

Both lists have multipul builds, and I'd recommend you find a game store than has both codeci in stock and have a read through before making your mind up about anything.

Essentially the necrons are a very tough army to get rid off, they have a respectable toughness and a good saev with an additional 50% of wounds being simply ignored (some exceptions apply, and some wargear increases this percentage).

Tyranids have 3 main builds: The swarm, The sneeky and The big mofo's.

The Swarm is essentially that, its a swarm of smaller 'grunt' models that swamp your opponent, overrunning them with superior numbers and a few larger creatures to back them up.

The Sneeky is mostly infiltrators that make for a great alpha strike list, be warned, this build has some serious drawbacks and requires a lot of planning/experience to build and use effectively, i'd only recommend this if you can find a fellow nid player to take you through the basics.

The Big mofo's, this is essentially an army made out of the biggest meanest bugs you can find.

Grailkeeper
10-07-2010, 05:00 AM
Don't spend too much money starting off as you may regret it. Also a rookie mistake is to by random models cos they look cool but you may not be able to use them.

Ebay is a good place to start buying models.

It helps if you have one or more friends who are starting with you. that way you will have similar points levels, and you can learn from each otehr, and develop new tactics to deal with each others army/ latest purchase.

mulkers
10-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Don't spend too much money starting off as you may regret it. Also a rookie mistake is to by random models cos they look cool but you may not be able to use them.

Ebay is a good place to start buying models.

It helps if you have one or more friends who are starting with you. that way you will have similar points levels, and you can learn from each otehr, and develop new tactics to deal with each others army/ latest purchase.

I would actually say start off with the models you like, as if you don't like the models you will lose interest very quickly.

Firstly, go to a store that sells the stuff you are after. GW stores are great as you can get a demo game, have a flick through codeci, and check out the hobby.

the next step would be to purchase a codex that you are interested in, then lots of lurking.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
10-08-2010, 07:12 AM
And also if you go to you GW store dont let the guy/girl talk you into an army....most probably Space Marines.
Find the models you like, then read the codex, if you think it looks good and you like what you read ask to play a few mini games of them if possible.

Then if your still interested in the army you like then go for it. I would also suggest try the other armies too, make a second and third choice just to see if you like them too.

In the end, choose one army and stick with it.
Goodluck

gannam
10-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Ebay is your friend when starting into this hobby. The pull will be for your to buy all kind of shiny new boxes and try and assemble an army. Avoid this trap when starting out, and try and find someone getting out of the hobby or taking a break and buy all of their hard work and effort for pennies on the dollar.

Remember, it doesn't have to be painted well for you to have a great time with it.

Also one thing that I never figured out before jumping in, is proxying models. When you are just messing around with your buddies at first trying to figure out which style you like playing, there is no shame in putting empty bases on the table or cardboard circles with unit names written on them. This allows you a very cheap way to figure out what army you like.

BuFFo
10-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Avoid GW stores. They are not there to be your friend, and this hobby is a 'life style' where you will ONLY enjoy playing the game with people who are your friends.

Find a FLGS (Friendly Local Gaming Store) which are mom and pop owned. Only IF you cannot find one that has Warhammer 40k with tables, then and ONLY then do you go to a GW store.

As for buying models, eBay and Bartertown.com are cheap places to get figures, but if you can find it in your heart, support your FLGS and buy from there. Any miniatures hobby lives and breathes with a striving community of like minded individuals. This is hobby is MORE than just buying figures and playing. This hobby is ALL ABOUT finding friends to play with and having a good time in a location where you all feel like family.

GW stores are sterile environments where fun is not allowed. Sure, there may be one or two ( and I am sure there will be tons of responses here claiming so) that are run by a nice guy, but when you want to sit in a couch and lounge around all day talking sh!t and having fun, GW stores do not allow that, unless you are actively buying something or playing a main product game.

As for your army? Just buy anything you like. I PROMISE you that whatever you buy first, it will not be your main love. Eventually, as you get to know the armies better, you'll switch into another army that suits you better. Usually, your second army is your real love. If you fall in love with your first army, then more power to you!

Just buy what you like, don't worry about winning, and have fun!

- edit -

Get Tyranids. Necrons are currently unplayable, ESPECIALLY for a new hobbyist. As for the point system, buy the main rule book and a Tyranid codex to find that out. You basically set a point limit, say 1500 points (which is the most fair and balanced point limit you can play) and you and your opponent make your armies until you reach that limit.

N0rdicNinja
10-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Avoid GW stores. They are not there to be your friend, and this hobby is a 'life style' where you will ONLY enjoy playing the game with people who are your friends.

Find a FLGS (Friendly Local Gaming Store) which are mom and pop owned. Only IF you cannot find one that has Warhammer 40k with tables, then and ONLY then do you go to a GW store.

As for buying models, eBay and Bartertown.com are cheap places to get figures, but if you can find it in your heart, support your FLGS and buy from there. Any miniatures hobby lives and breathes with a striving community of like minded individuals. This is hobby is MORE than just buying figures and playing. This hobby is ALL ABOUT finding friends to play with and having a good time in a location where you all feel like family.

GW stores are sterile environments where fun is not allowed. Sure, there may be one or two ( and I am sure there will be tons of responses here claiming so) that are run by a nice guy, but when you want to sit in a couch and lounge around all day talking sh!t and having fun, GW stores do not allow that, unless you are actively buying something or playing a main product game.

QFT, QFT, 10 million times QFT! Make it your goal to find a FLGS and never set foot in a GW store, and you'll be a happy hobbyist for years to come. I actually quit the game the entire time I was in college due to my only option being a GW store, didn't play the entire time. Picked it back up again once I moved back to my home town and could visit my local FLGS.

P.S. Off Topic: Is that you in your avi pic BuFFo? You lift? I'm an avid fitness nut myself:
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Bj0rn/
=)

Mystery.Shadow
10-08-2010, 11:00 AM
...this hobby is a 'life style' where you will ONLY enjoy playing the game with people who are your friends.
...support your FLGS and buy from there. Any miniatures hobby lives and breathes with a striving community of like minded individuals. This is hobby is MORE than just buying figures and playing. This hobby is ALL ABOUT finding friends to play with and having a good time in a location where you all feel like family.

The above quote is VERY TRUE! Some of my best friends have been met thru Mini Wargaming.

Off Topic: Almost didn't recognize BuFFo with the new avatar.

BuFFo
10-08-2010, 11:09 AM
QFT, QFT, 10 million times QFT! Make it your goal to find a FLGS and never set foot in a GW store, and you'll be a happy hobbyist for years to come. I actually quit the game the entire time I was in college due to my only option being a GW store, didn't play the entire time. Picked it back up again once I moved back to my home town and could visit my local FLGS.

Back in, um, lets see, it has been a while... 2001ish, I went into my then, local GW store in new york city, the one located on 8th street I believe. I brought with me some Tyranid Monstrosities which Armorcast had made models for years earlier. The ****s in that GW store did not allow me to use them since they were not GW models.

This pissed me off. Why? Back in 1998, when the Necrons came out, I saved up money a,d bought their entire stock of Necrons the day they were released. Except for multiple Lords of course. I was 17 years old and this money was saved up for months for the new models.

For years the GW guys there remembered me, and were always nice to me. Boy was I stupid. They were only nice to me because I was BUYING sh!t. The second I wanted to play IN STORE, they crapped all over me.

The messed up thing was that I went back into that store in 2003, and the same people knew who I was, but denied that they ever told me I couldn't use Tyranid models in the store. So now they called me a liar and insulted me to my face.

Since that day, I never stepped foot into a GW store again. That was actually the turning point for when I stopped buying products from GW and went straight to eBay for everything.

When I moved to Melbourne Florida back in 2005, I discovered a FLGS, and my life changed. I live, eat and breathe that store. When I can, I buy from the store. I could buy the new dark eldar models online at half the price, but I am already saving up to drop enough money on a 1500 army worth of new models from the store.

Screw GW stores. Smashing kid's dreams since 2001, lol.

P.S. Off Topic: Is that you in your avi pic BuFFo? You lift? I'm an avid fitness nut myself. =)

Yeah, that is me. I am currently on the Atkins Diet, as I want to lose 10 pounds in two weeks, then bulk back up.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Bj0rn/

Very nice sculpture to your body. I must say, though, that your most impressive asset, is your chin beard, lol.

Duke
10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I personally play in Longmont, but the springs have a great community there, in fact a real great friend of mine games down there so shoot me a pm if you want some more info.

As far as army selection, Pick what army you think is "cool" if you think a few are cool then pick the more coetitive one.

I have seen many people quit because of
1. Cool army can't win anything
2. Powerful army isn't attractive to them

Hope this helps

Duke

N0rdicNinja
10-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I largely agree with the general populace on this one, unless you're the hyper competitive type, just pick the force that fits your fancy most. You will likely pick up additional armies in the future once you learn the game mechanics, but truly liking the look and feel of your army is great when you're starting out in the beginning.

I must say, though, that your most impressive asset, is your chin beard, lol.

Fear the chin beard! My wife comes from a biker family so she diggs it, my Mom hates it though, practically attacked me with a pair of scissors on the Wedding day. XD And thx for the props, I bust my arse pretty hard, you appear to be pretty jacked yourself though.

Duke
10-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Buffo and others make a good point. When you do decide to buy your particular army do try and buy from your local family owned game store... Yes, ther are cheapeer ways to supply your plastic crack habit but if it wasn't for those store owners we would be thrice damned to only deal with GW.

That said, have we helped you at all in picking an army?

Duke