PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions for a Captain from AoBR

Tirion
10-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey everyone! Painting a Salamanders army and i'm in the middle of the captain from AoBR and I can't decide what colour to paint his cape or tunic. Kinda bouncin between an off white such as Bleached Bone, or an undecided darker colour. Ideas, opinions, i'll take em!

Duke
10-03-2010, 10:46 PM
I would go with a black color

Tirion
10-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I didn't want to go straight black i'm trying to come up with another dark colour that will mesh with the scheme

SotonShades
10-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Go for black, washed with red and then paint stylised flames coming up from the bottom in oranges and yellows

lobster-overlord
10-04-2010, 05:30 AM
To follow up on th flames idea... prime the cape white, paint the bottom in the color of the flames (brown, over with orange, highlighted with yellow) and then paint the rest black, creating the shape of the flames in negative space (you're painting the area around the flames creating the flame shapes backwards) and then wash with red. By doing th flames on white, it will really make the colors POP.

John M.

OCdt Mephiston
10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
If you do the inside of the cape an off-white the captain himself will really pop out of it. You can then paint the back of the cape a darker color or have some sort of free hand like the others have been suggesting.

Tirion
10-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all of the input, much appreciated! I really like the flame idea and am pretty much set on that

RedScorpionsGirl
10-05-2010, 06:51 AM
A few ideas for you:

- Black works, simple to the point, highlighted with coal black

- Red works, washed with Badab Black, red back over the raised areas highlighted up, like this
http://www.weebly.com/uploads/4/0/1/6/4016848/2064322.jpg

- Scale pattern (Say, white with black) hand painted on works, kind of like this:
http://www.weebly.com/uploads/4/0/1/6/4016848/4004476.jpg

- Purple, as in rich deep purple, not neon purple. Seems to work really well with Salamanders

- Flames could work well on just about anything. I actually did a commission Vulkan that they wanted baby blue flames

- You could also try to freehand the symbol, but that does look a bit on the gaudy side at that size

- Grey could work well too, darker grey highlighted up

- Blue, either a baby blue or a necron abyss/enchanted blue highlighted up

Just a few ideas :)

Tirion
10-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone for all of the ideas. I ended up going with black with flames coming up from the bottom on the back. Still thinking about the front of the cape though. Someone suggested do the front bleached bone. I like the idea but then I wonder what to do about the purity seals on the cape. there needs to be some kind of contrast.

OCdt Mephiston
10-05-2010, 09:52 AM
If the cape is more white to the purity seals parchment, it looks good, you just have to really make the seals look aged compared to a cleaner linen look for the cape

Tirion
10-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Great tip thanks! has anyone tried a scab red color on the inside?

RedScorpionsGirl
10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Great tip thanks! has anyone tried a scab red color on the inside?

Couple of notes on trying that colour.

1. it will blend the purity seals in with the cloak. Kind of the same theory with using white, then trying to make sure you're not going to have the parchment blend in with the cloak.

2. Does give it a Christmas-y feeling. That is unless you're doing a colour other than green for the armour. ( I did a commission Vulkan with Tin Bitz w/green trim, so anything's possible lol)

3. Did you consider possibly leaving it black, to accentuate the model itself? That would highlight both the armour itself and the purity seals.

Tirion
10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Couple of notes on trying that colour.

1. it will blend the purity seals in with the cloak. Kind of the same theory with using white, then trying to make sure you're not going to have the parchment blend in with the cloak.

2. Does give it a Christmas-y feeling. That is unless you're doing a colour other than green for the armour. ( I did a commission Vulkan with Tin Bitz w/green trim, so anything's possible lol)

3. Did you consider possibly leaving it black, to accentuate the model itself? That would highlight both the armour itself and the purity seals.

Yeha the armours green and that Christmasy point is a good one, i'm glad you brought that up beforeI tried it.

I have been thinking about just leaving it black, but I for sure don't want to leave his sash/loincloth black (point of interest I painted the the cord on his chest bleached bone, so I hav ehte same problem with the sash) Has anyone tried the white next to bleached bone thing ?

Tirion
10-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Well he's finished. I ended up going with a black cape all around with flames coming up from the bottom. His sash is scab red (yeah I risked it and luckily you doesnt look like a Christmas tree!) thanks for all of the comments and advice.