PDA

View Full Version : Move through Cover

Chisel
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Just something I want to throw out to the masses to troll and flame, with the hopes of some constructive feedback.

What if the "Move through Cover" Special rule gave the equivalent of frag grenades to the models with the rule?

Culven
10-01-2010, 11:31 PM
the rule doesn't grant Assault Grenades, and I can't see how it could even from a fluff standpoint. Being able to move through difficult terrain more quickly because one is sure-footed doesn't change the ability of the enemy to shoot at one as they are moving to engage in combat.

SeattleDV8
10-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I agree Culven, all Move Though Cover does is give the unit an extra D6 for moving though difficult terrain.

DarkLink
10-02-2010, 01:12 AM
I think he asked "what if". I would think it would make sense. I mean, the way grenades work doesn't really make any sense. Why would you throw a grenade at someone, then charge them with a knife? And for that matter, why couldn't you spray them with your fully automatic rocket launcher in order to pin them down?

MarshalAdamar
10-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I think it might make some sense.

The justification that I've seen for units that charge through cover going last is because they are trying to navigate the difficult terrain and the enemy is ready and waiting.

So, I would think that a unit that can move through cover quickly would be able to use its regular initiative.

I'm not sure what it would do to game balance but the principle seems sound.

(That does not make it a good idea necessarily)

DarkLink
10-03-2010, 06:22 PM
I think it would be an interesting idea, but would require a re-working of the assault rules. You could replace the effect of grenades with move through cover (since it makes more sense like that anyways), but you couldn't just give everyone MTC as then everything would almost ignore difficult terrain. But you could make assaulting in to cover a little less difficult, say only a -1 to the attackers initiative instead of hitting at I 1.

But then grenades would only work against vehicles, so you might want to add the ability to actually use your grenades as weapons against infantry, and have a simple profile. Maybe that a squad could choose to throw their grenades in place of shooting, and would get a single large blast template shooting attack with perhaps a 12" range.

Heh, you can see how changing out one rule can have a big ripple effect on many other rules in terms of balanced game design. Incidentally, I think some changes like this would be nice for 6th ed out in the future. It would be nice to mix up some of the rules that we take for granted.

Chisel
10-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the response guys, I appreciate the feedback