PDA

View Full Version : Planned Initial DE Purchases

Keldain
09-30-2010, 02:31 PM
1 Archon
1 Box of Incubi
2 Boxes of Kabalite Warriors (or maybe 1 box of Kabalite Warriors and 1 box of Wyches)
1 Box of Reaver Jetbikes (?)
3 Raiders
1 Ravager

Hopefully that'll be enough for 1,000 points of new DE goodness. =)

Mal
09-30-2010, 04:07 PM
At a guess i'd say that'll clock about 900 points with upgrades (and thats counting on a points hike), mabey 2 boxes of reavers?

Keldain
09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I'll probably grab another box of Reavers and a 2nd Ravager as well (that'll bring me up to 1k hopefully), I'll know more of what I need/want to get when I snag my copy of the codex in November.

Spiff
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
At a guess i'd say that'll clock about 900 points with upgrades (and thats counting on a points hike), mabey 2 boxes of reavers?

I agree. At just a glance, I'd estimate those would all round out to be about 900. Maybe a bit more if you can really deck out the Archon.
I'd toss in another box of warriors (assuming they come in boxes of 10)

As for myself, I'm still torn a couple things: A) which older models am I gonna try to integrate into the new army and B) Which army build I would do.

At the moment, without and guidance from a codex, I'm leaning toward doing a wych-heavy army...as long as you can include at least 1 squad of Incubi (will probably keep my old ones).
The first time around, I did a Dark Eldar army whose backbone was essentially a gunline of warriors with darklances. I want to get stuck in with a bunch of wyches and reavers. I already have a shooty IG army and a balanced Black Templar army. It's about time I get a crazy assault army. :D

Spiff
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Eh. I don't think it warrants a new thread so here's what I'm looking at in terms of my old models:

Reavers: I have about 9 or so old ones. They really don't hold a candle to the new ones. But at the same time aren't exactly horrible. I'll probably repaint them and at least use them initially. I'm guessing the new ones are gonna be pretty expensive. Plus it'd be convenient to have them while putting together a wych army. Down the line I wouldn't mind having a squad of old ones and a squad (or two!) of new ones.

Wyches - I don't think they're terrible; just dated. may use them to fill out squads of new wych models. Pretty much these guys and the reavers...I'm not sure what to do with. I kinda wanna keep them for nostalgia sake AND the fact that it'll save me some money in building a wych army.

Haemoculus: IMHO, Urien is still a pretty solid model. He doesn't really jibe with a wych army...but he is still one of my best painted models. It'd be a shame to not use him again, even as a generic Haemoculus.

Scourges: My old ones are painted like $#*@! They wouldn't fit in as well with a wych army as Hellions. My figures will be lucky if I bit bash them for their wings. The only thing I really used them for when I used to play DE was as essentially a stationary Dev squad equivalent. So, in short...doomed to the bitz box.

Harlequins - I've got old 2nd edition harlies that I have every intention of keeping on the roster.

Raiders - tossed my old ones already. Hated those things.

Hellions - Only have a couple still in blister. May keep the skyboard for converting purposes. :/

Talos - Feh. I guess I'll keep it until the new one comes out. I'm not really attached to the old one.

Archon - Should I melt him down? Blow him up with an M-80 or sell him to some dumb 12 year old?

Converted Archon - One of the earliest conversions I did was of Maugan Ra since I hated the Archon model so much. It's decent looking. But he wouldn't really fit in with a new army.

Warriors - Actually threw out all my non-metal warriors year ago. I don't regret that move at all. I'll keep the dark lance/blaster models for as long as it takes to get newer models.

Old Lelith - In my opinion...still a really solid model. May be used as a squad leader or HQ.

Incubi - will probably still use them as Incubi. I still like the models a great deal. Especially Drahzar. If I use any models regularly in a new DE army, it'll be these guys. I think it'd set my army apart from other people's DE armies.

Warp beasts: No idea. I wouldn't mind getting rid of them at all in exchange for really good looking alternatives.

Mandrakes - Hated the old models...I just used some Eldar rangers as proxies on the rare occassion that I fielded them.

...Jeez, til I looked back at this post I didn't realize how much dang old DE stuff I still have.

Keldain
09-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I've been fighting myself about Wyches, I do like the models, however, I've always been more of a Kabalite myself, but then again, Reavers are technically wyches, so I guess I should grab another Raider and a box of Wyches.

Spiff
09-30-2010, 07:54 PM
I guess it's just a matter of waiting for the new codex to come out to determine how they really distinguish the different types of DE armies. What was the other one besides Kabalite and Wych?

Old_Paladin
09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I guess it's just a matter of waiting for the new codex to come out to determine how they really distinguish the different types of DE armies. What was the other one besides Kabalite and Wych?

The other 'pure' type is a Haemoculus army.
But what sounds great about the rumors is that it's really hard to build an underperforming army or have crappy combos. A wych & Haemoc will make a tough melee force (wych's with FNP, backed up by some talos, that's sick); wych and kabalite can shoot and fight.

eldargal
09-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Codex
2x Lelith Hesperax
2x Archon
1-2 of the Mystery Object (depending on what it is. If it is Webway portal definitely two)
2 Incubi boxes
3 Wych boxes
3 Warrior boxes
6 Raiders
3 Ravagers
3-4 Reaver boxes
Will see how much I like the other unseen releases before I decide.

I've often wondered how strict the division between Kabals and Wych Cults are. I wouldn't be surprised if some Kabals actually have Wych cults as a sub-unit within them.

Mal
10-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Well we know wych cults have kalabites at their beck and call and kalabites have wyches at their beck and call...
So I don;t honestly think the division is all that great, probally more a matter of implied respect than an actual division.

Old_Paladin
10-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I've often wondered how strict the division between Kabals and Wych Cults are. I wouldn't be surprised if some Kabals actually have Wych cults as a sub-unit within them.

I find the best way to think about the division is like City Militias and the Galdiator Ludus' in Ancient Rome.
Kabals are fixed in both territory and to their ruler (they only change from losses or gains to either).
Wych Cults are much more flexable. They may other reside within a given territory, but could change their home arena or expand to include themselves across several territories with links to many different patrons (possibly all at the same time).

Mal
10-04-2010, 01:54 AM
In regards to planned purchases of the shiny new minis... well heres what I have of the old ones:

24 reavers (4 with blasters)
6 raiders
2 ravagers
7 incubi
2 archon
11 wyches (2 with blasters, 1 with shredder)
70 warriors (9 with dark lance)

Initially im going to replace the archons and incubi, the new minis are just too nice to pass up, after that i'll replace the wyches and then the warriors.
The ravagers, raiders and reavers im going to keep the old ones for now, at least until im able to win some cheap auctions on evilBay (I rarely buy minis direct from GW, its just too expensive), but if im painfully honest, if I do replace the reavers then it'll be with the minis that have the longer noses, I really hate the sculpt with the short nose.