PDA

View Full Version : 40k FPS that never was....

rhubikon
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
hey guys,

this has been bugging me something chronic. with the new space marine game in production at THQ, my memory was jogged by an image and i seem to recall seeing an ad in a game magazine maybe about 15 years ago announcing a space marine FPS. there were even a couple of screen shots in the ad! and if my memory serves me right, they used the 'al pacino' space marine painting in the advert sa well.

now please tell me that i'm not making this up. or is this the start of old age? :)

fuzzbuket
09-12-2010, 05:35 AM
fire warrior? and the space hulk game was a FPS as well i think??

Bedroom General
09-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Maybe its Chapter Honour, a mod of Doom I think. I played it way back when. You were a marine, could pick up a jump pack, plasma gun etc etc. There was a set of terminator armour that wasn't unlockable, man I lusted after that! I believe that good ol' GW went all lawyery on them and they had to shut it down. Anyway multiplayer was great. Good times.

lowdog
09-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I really wish they would make a Space Marine FPS. Fire Warrior seemed to have commerical success (and spawned a Black Library book). There's a lot they could do with it. Start you out as a Space Marine Scout, engaging in light skirmishes and ambushes away from the main battle against rebel guard and Orks, working your way up to a Battle Brother (unlocking Power Armor) to fight all the different xenos, culminating in tough missions against traitor marines. Maybe even have you be a budding librarian and unlock your psychic powers as you progress.

rhubikon
09-12-2010, 09:42 AM
it wasn't a mod for doom. i think it was a standalone game... it's driving me nuts!

fuzzbuket
09-12-2010, 09:43 AM
or deathwatch that could be cool youd unlock new ammo and weapons ! :D

but back to the OP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_Workshop_video_games

rhubikon
09-12-2010, 09:55 AM
thanks fellas for all the suggestions. it isn't any of them. i seem to remember reading somewhere as well that the game got canned before it saw the light of day. think it was called 'space marine'

Col.Gravis
09-15-2010, 05:00 AM
15 years ago? Thats a fair while back for FPS, Doom was only released a couple of years before that, I think you must have seen something for the Space Hulk games to be honest.

Grailkeeper
09-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Is this what you were talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk:_Vengeance_of_the_Blood_Angels

Machinator
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Nope, he's right. There was a FPS PC game, I believe it was given the very original title of "Space Marine", that was suppose to come out but never did. If I remember right this was even before the original Space Hulk PC game featuring the Deathwing. The cover of this game was the old Dark Angels art you described.

Vaktathi
09-15-2010, 05:53 PM
I really wish they would make a Space Marine FPS. Fire Warrior seemed to have commerical success (and spawned a Black Library book).

Unfortunately Fire Warrior was actually an absolutely awful game, with dated graphics and Gameplay more appropriate for 1993-1995 rather than 2003.

The problem with a Space Marine game is that, at least for right now, there's a couple other big franchises already dominating the "super soldier in power armor" thing.

DarkLink
09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
I really wish they would make a Space Marine FPS. Fire Warrior seemed to have commerical success (and spawned a Black Library book). There's a lot they could do with it. Start you out as a Space Marine Scout, engaging in light skirmishes and ambushes away from the main battle against rebel guard and Orks, working your way up to a Battle Brother (unlocking Power Armor) to fight all the different xenos, culminating in tough missions against traitor marines. Maybe even have you be a budding librarian and unlock your psychic powers as you progress.

They could throw in an RPG element, where as your character gets promoted you get to pick gear and special abilities, like CoD's Perks, or Halo Reach's Armor Abilities. That way you could customize your guy to have close combat abilities, or carry really big guns, or have psychic powers, and so on and so forth.

Inquisitor Hate Machine
09-16-2010, 07:20 PM
maybe you are talign about the one on the nintendo DS and the Playstation Portable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Squad_Command

Renegade
09-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Could it have been this : http://www.unseen64.net/2010/04/25/warhammer-dark-crusaders-pc-cancelled/

Found with a quick search of unreleased Space Marine games.

rhubikon
09-20-2010, 08:06 PM
by george i think he's got it! that IS the one!

mindscape.. ah the good old days.

good to know that i wasn't hallucinating then. :)