PDA

View Full Version : SM Vs Armor at range ?

Hunter
09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
codex Space marine has several long range tank killing capability but i am undecided on what are MY best options

first is a 5 man sternguard unit with x2 lazcannons at 155 pnt
advantage cheepest option and good counter unit.

second is a devastator squad , again with 2 laz at 160 pnt
what makes this option interesting is the simgus giving you one re-roll

the third is a fully kitted out predator analiator at 165
advantage , it's a tank nuff said , disadvantage , a hi priority target

the list i am working on is centerd arround Vulkan He'stan , X2 tac squad ,melta/multi meltas in drop pods and a treminator hammer team.

any recommendation ?

lowdog
09-13-2010, 10:18 AM
I would go with the Predator, but leave the autocannon turret with las sponsons.

a) you save some points

b) with two drop podding tacs and deep striking (I presume) termies, you won't have a lot on the table initially, so a tank can go in reserve and come on board later to avoid an alpha strike or start behind cover and then move out to attack.

Sanguinary Dan
09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
With Vulkan in your army you might want to consider using Land Speeders Typhoons with Multi-meltas. That will give you 2 S8 at 48" with the ability to either add a re-rolled S8 (for 3 total) once you close to 24" (only if moving 6" or less though :( ) or just zip in and lay a single re-rollable S8+2d6 shot from 12". Sure they're fragile, but they are also very flexible in that you can engage infantry with 2x S4 blasts and the MM when there are no decent AV targets on the table. And the ability to reposition with a Flat Out move is a huge bonus.

Another fun option is to drop pod an Ironclad with 2x HKMs along one flank. Most of the time people drop them right in the middle of fight once combat is up and running. But if you drop it on turn one out on a flank you can usually get decent side armor shots and force the enemy to react in that direction. Give him a turn or two to close the range and his Melta Gun can also come into play. Send a Typhoon up the other side of the table and the only AV units that won't get nervous are Land Raiders.

Hunter
09-13-2010, 07:40 PM
lowdog.... thas an option i dident think of, i unfortunatly don't have that modle pread but i may be able to jery rig somthing.

Sanguinary Dan ,multi melta landspeeder hmmm thas a pritty insane idear, i don't have that model at all but the idear is so appealing i may get thet instead of drop pod no 3 next month.

i don't own an Ironclad dread but i do have a melta dread from the starter ,i may try podding it if i get my space marine *** handed to me again this week.

i havent finalised my list yet "1500 pnt" so i still have otions

in my past experiance vs guard , a tac squad podding behind enemy line survives atleast 2 turns unless relived. this time with a regular sarg with all melta i get survivebility with reletive cost savings plus a tank will DIE almost garenteed.

its going to be the first outing for my hammer team, the plan is to have em running towards enemy line providing a major distraction or be deepstriking if i don't have the first strike, the rest of the army will be riding in rhinos .

thanks for the input ppl , you gave me a couple of pritty good idear , i may pull out my melta/flamer speeder .

MarshalAdamar
09-24-2010, 09:07 AM
What about Multi Melta razorbacks? Has anyone ever tired that? They seem like they might be good in a Vulcan list.

Never used one but thought I would put it out there.

Sir Biscuit
09-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately, MM razorbacks do not exist. They would be EVERYWHERE if they did.

AirHorse
09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Im sure vulkan wouldnt mind you throwing some multimeltas on those razorbacks ;)