PDA

View Full Version : Tau within a year?

Old_Paladin
09-09-2010, 09:56 AM
So, dante76 posted this on warseer:

Through a new source, who with hindsight turned out to be pretty accurate with Blood Angels and Skaven....
-Pencilled in release date of Aug 2011
-New Alien allies
-All metal sets to plastic (Pathfinder, Krootox, Vespids)
-Possible new tank
-Changes to Hammerhead Railgun rules. Essentially draws a line across table hitting everything in line. Multiple pen through vehicles, only stopped by a glancing hit.
-Changes to markerlights. Point system. 1 Markerlight point = + 1BS, 2 Markerlight points = reroll to wound [or] hit 3 = Difficult Terrain test (blinded by the lights?). Cannot be stacked. So can't have reroll to wound and reroll to hit at 4 points.
-Battle Suits. A plug and play system. Essentially streamlined. Pick two guns and a skill or two skills a gun. New models might have interchangeable arms similar to Killa Kans

Well, we know about the Dark Eldar and Grey Knights being close to finished. The Necrons keep phasing out then making their well be back saves, and are expected soon. Which would leave Witch Hunters as the only 3rd edition codex. Black Templars and Tau are the oldest 4th edition books.
So this does fit in very well with both an Imperial/Xeno flip-flop release set up (which would be a welcome change in release style) and for updating all the oldest books.

The potential rules seem to fit the trends of newer releases.
Railguns moving through objects (blood lance, jaws of the world wolf)
Markerlights being a tally system (tally of Nurgle, the dark eldar slavers rumor, saga of the warrior borne).

DrLove42
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Woo! Looks good if its true.

So we're looking at (my best guess);

Nov; Dark Eldar
Jan; Forces of the Inquisition/ Grey Knights
April; Necrons
July; Templars/Dark Angels
September; Tau

Problem is them releasing 2nd wave models (and 3rd if the DE rumours are true) are they screw up the schedule.

So by the end of 2011 we'll only have regular Eldar, Sisters and CSM to go...chances of them doing all the armies before re-releasing codex marines again? Slim i'd say though

fuzzbuket
09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
hmmm i can see everyone shouting cheeseeeeeeee at the hammerhead rules! but then if the tau are meant to be shooty it seems like a cool idea

hopefully a tau army will look like this :

a few tanks

a few kroot

LOADS of firewrriors!!

cause thats what i think a tau army should look like not just devilfish minimized FW squads and hammerheads and wound allocation battlesuits :(

and if it goes GK and tau within a year me and my mates all will be happy chappys!!

isotope99
09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Personally, I think one of the mainstream armies like CSM or Eldar is going to get in between all the ones that really need updates as this many relatively 'niche' armies one after the other seems a bit risky from a GW financial perspective.

Whether the railgun rules propsed are too OP probably depends on the range. With a relatively short range, people will just have to be careful not to line up their tanks i.e the power can be nullified with tactics and plannning. My guess is that this would work best with two fire modes. One short range withe the 'punch-through' rule. The other the long range S10 sniper style shot. Making the ion cannon area damage (e.g. multiple small blasts like the IG executioner) would then make the choice between the hammerhead weapons more interesting.

They must include new battlesuit models.

spartan-117: master chef
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Don't think the multiple pen. rule is too broken, although it could hurt rhino rush blood angels and leafblower lists especially hard. Which is a good thing, as it will change the meta game away from 'mech= WIN'. Also like the proposed tally system for markerlights, make pathfinders more viable, as I mostly give markerlights to squad sergeants. :)

DrLove42
09-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Take away the comulsary devilfish for pathfinders!

And i think any streamlining of the markerlights is good they can get a bit convoluted sometimes.

As for people shouting cheese on the railguns...can't Blood Angels already have this as a physic power?
An option like the rules for stand and shoot in fantasy would be cool as well...but now i'm just starting to wishlist :)

Melissia
09-09-2010, 06:41 PM
July; Templars/Dark Angels

No, there's been no word of either of those armies.

Actually, Sisters are rumored to be at that point.

Lerra
09-09-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree with Melissa. Sisters are far more likely than Templars/DA. It was confirmed not that long ago that neither Templars/DAs were in the works, nor were they even on the table (this was about a year ago). It seems pretty clear to me that sisters are coming before either of those armies.

RocketRollRebel
09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Yay Tau! I've been wondering for a while when they were gonna get some love from GW. Hope this holds true along with Dark Eldar and Necrons. A wave of Xenos would be nice to see to break up the never ending tide of SM and IG out there.

DarkLink
09-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I agree with Melissa. Sisters are far more likely than Templars/DA. It was confirmed not that long ago that neither Templars/DAs were in the works, nor were they even on the table (this was about a year ago). It seems pretty clear to me that sisters are coming before either of those armies.

To be more precise, many of the early GK rumors were mistaken for DA/Templar rumors, which was promptly shot down.

DrLove42
09-10-2010, 02:47 AM

To me thats good news. I'd rather see Sisters than another marine army for people to "counts as".

Old_Paladin
09-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Just an update,
The rumor lord of Warseer, Harry, has just said that Tau are one of the codexes being worked on.

C'Thulhu
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Well shucks,

I have Tau and Necrons. I'll be feeling the love come 2011 :D

What if the "draw a line" rule becomes a rule for Broadsides? The Hammerhead already comes with a submunition shot, so why not throw some coolness their way?

Uncle Nutsy
09-15-2010, 05:21 PM
-Changes to Hammerhead Railgun rules. Essentially draws a line across table hitting everything in line. Multiple pen through vehicles, only stopped by a glancing hit.

If this is true, I can see the triple hammerhead loadout coming back with a vengeance.

DarkLink
09-15-2010, 10:32 PM
If this is true, I can see the triple hammerhead loadout coming back with a vengeance.

Yeah, like the 4th ed SM dual jump pack Librarian with Fury of the Ancients, criss-crossing the enemy from either flank with a bunch of morale tests and str 5 hits. Except these will be Str 10 Ap 1.

Luko
10-05-2010, 09:09 AM
I've played Tau since the 3rd edition, but have moved away from the game since 5th edition. I believe a playable Tau army should consist of more then just battlesuits, Hammerheads, a unit of 6FW and kroot.

Here's what I think they really need to change, though I doubt they will:

1. Better ballistic skill for FW, followed by a possible increase in Point Cost.
- they are supposed to be some of the galaxy's best shots (if not the best) due to their eye sight, equipment, and training - yet they hit like...guardsmen?!. Also since chapter 5 brought sprint for everyone, 6 out of 12 FW hitting per turn is hopeless.

2. Come up with new rules for Pulse Carbines. What was the last time you pinned someone? Majority of the units fielded by players these days are either fearless, or have 9LD standard or through bonuses. This was the purpose of Carbines for Tau, and I feel like it has long since been useless. Since its description mentions a high rate of fire, perhaps they could also make it Assault 2? FW squads with these carbines would enjoy much more mobility without fearing for their safety at the statistics of ridiculous BS3 skill they have. This would also give Pathfinders a whole new role. They're Tau SF for God sakes, not kids with laser pointers. Mobility is supposed to be Tau's trademark, and not through battlesuits alone.

3. Fusion blaster needs some changes as well IMO. Either give us a "mulit-melta" option as well, or change the stats and cost of the Fusion blaster. no, I don't think the fact that it can come twin linked changes anything at all. It needs better stats then that of a regular meltagun. My persoval suggestion is: keep the range 12", but make the melta effect 12" as well. If it this was the case, then the battlesuit tank hunter teams often mentioned in fluff or campaigns would actually live up to their reputation. It would also bring a new edge to the Piranhas.

4. A new support system for the XV8s. One that will allow a battlesuit that remained stationary last turn to fire his twin linked weapons as 2 separate weapons. XV8s are Taus only source of special weapons, which infantry are not allowed to field due to Tau war doctrine.

5. Change the Ion Cannon stats so that you could actually consider taking it instead of a of the railgun.

6. Loose the mandatory Devilfish for the Pathfinders.

7. We need new special characters. As much as it disgusts me, 5th edition is centering table top gameplay entirely around these. This puts the GW at a halt with progressing the Tau codex - because the very background of the Tau empire can hardly offer enough room for the individuality needed in order to create kick *** spec chars. However, we still need them.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Luko

oiad
10-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Just an update,
The rumor lord of Warseer, Harry, has just said that Tau are one of the codexes being worked on.
Not surprising actually, question is when they roughly arrive. Unless GW aim to compact their releases I can't see it being in 2011. So that makes DaemonHunters, Necrons, WitchHunters and Tau confirmed as being in the works, but not Dark Angels or Black Templars?.. I feel so smug.

mirkins
10-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Good idea. You must do it.
http://essaywritingservices.org/classification-essay.php

heartbitt
10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Not surprising actually, question is when they roughly arrive. Unless GW aim to compact their releases I can't see it being in 2011. So that makes DaemonHunters, Necrons, WitchHunters and Tau confirmed as being in the works, but not Dark Angels or Black Templars?.. I feel so smug.
AFAIK, from reliable sources, the Codices in progress to be ALL released in 2011 are GK (not DH, may Inq appears only as HQ but is GK oriented, not Inq), Necrons, SoB (not WH, same as GK) and Tau Empire. GK will be released in Jan/Feb and SoB will be realeased about Aug/Sept.(nowadays seems more probably on Sep.than Aug ) so you can predict the other slots.
And you're right. Not a word about BT, DA, Chaos SM or Eldar, I guess those will due on 2012 [before of 6th Ed.]

oiad
10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I've always said that with Dark Eldar this November, January is optimistic for Grey Knights. However, you could possibly fit Tau in if it were to happen, with April for Necrons, August for Sororitas and November...

...stop me if I'm getting ahead of myself here. Doubting it because it's a compact release schedule - something GW doesn't do often enough.

Brass Scorpion
10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
-All metal sets to plastic (Pathfinder, Krootox, Vespids) What about Sniper Drone Team boxed sets? Are they going plastic too?

DadExtraordinaire
10-10-2010, 06:31 AM
I've always said that with Dark Eldar this November, January is optimistic for Grey Knights. However, you could possibly fit Tau in if it were to happen, with April for Necrons, August for Sororitas and November...

...stop me if I'm getting ahead of myself here. Doubting it because it's a compact release schedule - something GW doesn't do often enough.

The following can be expected over the next 2 to 3 years ...:

Nov/Q4 - DE
Jan/Q1 - GK (may be as late as March)
Late spring/Q2 - Necrons
Early Fall/Q3 - Witch hunters or Black Templar
Late Fall/Q4 - Tau
Early Spring/Q1 - Black Templar or Witch hunters
Late Spring/Summer/Q2 - 40k 6E
Early Fall/Q3 - 40k Box Set Eldar Vs ??? (plastic aspect warriors?)
Late Fall/Q4 - Eldar
Early Spring/Q1 - Dark Angels
Late Spring/Q2 - Chaos SM
Fall/Q3+ - vanilla SM

You will see that GW have some options open to them when certain dexes will be launched...particularly Tau, Necron, Witchhunters and BT.

DrLove42
10-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Early Fall/Q3 - 40k Box Set Eldar Vs ??? (plastic aspect warriors?)

I find it etremely funny you think there might be starter box that doesn't have marines in it. It will be marines vs something. I'd hope eldar, but we'll just have to wait and see

As for BT they're unlikely as nothing has been heard yet. Sister on the other hand...

Lockark
10-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Whao. Were did this list came from?

And why Dark Angles before vanilla Space Marines?

O.o

DadExtraordinaire
10-11-2010, 09:27 AM

O.o

From various sources on Warseer who have been spot on every time and the timing is right for 6th Ed.

DadExtraordinaire
10-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I find it etremely funny you think there might be starter box that doesn't have marines in it. It will be marines vs something. I'd hope eldar, but we'll just have to wait and see

As for BT they're unlikely as nothing has been heard yet. Sister on the other hand...

As my quote states GW have flexibility and Melissa isn't always right I'm afraid to say. However others on Warseer are and have been spot on every time.

It was always the case that GK and SOB would be upgraded to meet 5th and to do this they would revamp Codex with maxing more on core troops and less on exotic, however that doesn't say there wont be any Inquisitors but they will have a different impact on the game. Plenty more of this on Warseer. The intention was also to release the core troops in plastic - it makes sense business wise. You will see GW move even more to plastic over the coming years (a clear indicator of this is the Space Marine Commander with extras - all in plastic).

As for the starter box this is not a given. There has been talk around an only alien box set for an edition launch with Eldar vs alien army, the talk has been around the next edition 6th.. However, as always, it is far to early to take anything concrete on this. I suspect it will turn out to be SM vs Eldar or CSM? who knows. Oh and before you say it's.... It's not speculation as it has been discussed at concept stage i.e. can it make money....

BT is a different SM chapter to all the others so I would not rule them out just yet. I would like to know on what evidence Melissa or others have based their assertions on? Space Marines and in particular PA troops always sell....

DadExtraordinaire
10-11-2010, 09:43 AM

O.o

Sorry mate I missed your q. on DA.

DA were launched before SM this edition and timing would coincide nicely with the timings from 4th to 5th, however, this could change as it is two years out and anything could happen...but for now I would place a 75:1 at a dollar on it if I was a betting man.....

Galadren
10-11-2010, 09:53 AM
To be quite honest I don't see 6E coming out before all of the codices are updated, or at least more of them than listed there.

As to Black Templars vs Sisters, I've heard about the same amount of rumors on both, though honestly Sisters seems more likely since their available models and codex have been pulled and their codex needs updating more urgently, along with the fact that GW seems to have older codices lined up (GK, Necrons, DE, etc).

Lockark
10-11-2010, 10:04 AM
But in fairness the Black Templars are just another space marine codex. It's not like there sister of battle who need a new plastic range from scratch. They just need some new upgrade sprues, and then GW just sell yet more of the space marine kits they have always been selling.

Any of the Space Marine Codexs are "money in the bank" for GW at this point.

@DadExtraordinaire: Sorry, I hope you didn't take my 1st question as being rude. I just never knew the rumors went that far ahead at the moment.
o.o

It also kinda surprised me Dark Angles Before vanilla, since vanilla are GW's bread and butter. I would think they would want them updated before Dark Angles.

eldargal
10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
From what I've seen on Warseer from the reliable rumourmongers, and a private conversation with one of them, sisters are already being worked on in some fashion, while Tau are being talked about. Incidentally they are being referred to as 'sisters' within GW, not Witch hunters or Inquisition.

DarkLink
10-11-2010, 10:27 AM
As to Black Templars vs Sisters, I've heard about the same amount of rumors on both,

Where have you heard anything about BT? I have yet to see a single reliable source that has said anything whatsoever about them. There's been some stuff that sounded like BT rumors, but turned out to be GK ones instead... On the other hand, we have several people stating that Sisters are indeed in the works, but aren't quite far enough along to say anything more than that.

That puts Sisters on a timeline for sometime next year, and BT for... well... eventually, in the next few years, once actual rumors for them start coming out.

Galadren
10-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Here and Warseer, every once in a while someone mentions Black Templars. Ok, to be fair "same amount" would probably be wrong. More like the rumors sounded about as concrete for both. Lately the Sisters rumors have been more concrete, but a few months ago you couldn't really say that. And like I said, I agree. Sisters are probably coming first... *mutters under breath* ...much as I'd like to see new Templars....

But in fairness the Black Templars are just another space marine codex. It's not like there sister of battle who need a new plastic range from scratch. They just need some new upgrade sprues, and then GW just sell yet more of the space marine kits they have always been selling.

Any of the Space Marine Codexs are "money in the bank" for GW at this point.

This is true. A Black Templar release would be quick and easy. Toss out the codex, maybe a new IC model or two, MAYBE a plastic Sword Brethren kit (ala plastic Death Company), and that's it. The Black Templar upgrade kit is fine, and while the Helbrecht model is kindof terribad, I don't see a real reason to update it. Minimal effort for maximum bucks.

DarkLink
10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I think most of the mentions of BT have been coming from mis-understood sources. I know some of the GK rumors were mistaken by some people to refer to BT, until the original source corrected them. I just don't remember anyone of repute, such as Harry or the like, come out and say "they're working on BT now". The Sisters rumors, however, have come from reputable sources, or at least enough of them have.

But BT wouldn't be such an easy update:rolleyes:. GW would have to create a bunch of new units, such as the Thunder Horse Cavalry to reflect the BT's knight-like upbringing, and create not-actually-psyker psychic powers (which of course use the conveniently available psychic test to work) fueled by their fanaticism and faith in the emperor, and of course three unique variant Dreads (the Paladin, the Warrior and the Templar Dreads). They'll also have to introduce the Holiest Knight's Monk's Sword of Holy Purification of Faith (counts as a Relic Blade).

Edit: actually, I think that around a year or so ago Harry mentioned he "thought they were working on BT", but later clarified that he was wrong and he didn't know anything about when they were going to work on the BT. At least, I'm pretty sure that was Harry.

Tynskel
10-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I know that the sisters are being worked on (granted this was a few months ago): My GW buddy told me that the last time they had a GM conference in Las Vegas they were shown some of the new upcoming models--- some of it was Sisters.

Schnitzel
10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I know that the sisters are being worked on (granted this was a few months ago): My GW buddy told me that the last time they had a GM conference in Las Vegas they were shown some of the new upcoming models--- some of it was Sisters.

Sisters... The one army in the game I could care less about. Every time I see a fanatic go on about them, I pray they get Squatted.

eldargal
10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Couldn't care less about. See, I don't understand that attitude at all. I strongly dislike Tau, Necrons and Tyranids but I don't go around hoping they will be squatted. It seems petty and immature to wish an army a great many people appreciate should be removed from the game. Thankfully, GW have said they aren't squatting anyone, and indeed the Sisters codex is already being worked on.

Sisters... The one army in the game I could care less about. Every time I see a fanatic go on about them, I pray they get Squatted.

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Couldn't care less about. See, I don't understand that attitude at all. I strongly dislike Tau, Necrons and Tyranids but I don't go around hoping they will be squatted. It seems petty and immature to wish an army a great many people appreciate should be removed from the game. Thankfully, GW have said they aren't squatting anyone, and indeed the Sisters codex is already being worked on.

In the spirit of correcting posts, it's 'alleged'. Not 'allaged'. Sorry, that part of the signature irks me. lol

eldargal
10-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Lol, hadn't noticed that, copied and pasted it from someones post on the main page.

In the spirit of correcting posts, it's 'alleged'. Not 'allaged'. Sorry, that part of the signature irks me. lol

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-12-2010, 05:09 AM
Lol, hadn't noticed that, copied and pasted it from someones post on the main page.

No excuse ;) One must always be grammatically aware ;)

eldargal
10-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Yes, not sure how I missed it. Just a typo though, not half as bad as saying 'could care less' which so many people do and it means the exact opposite of what they intend. I find it highly irritating, especially when they argue that it is correct when you point it out to them.:rolleyes:

Farseer Uthiliesh
10-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Yes, not sure how I missed it. Just a typo though, not half as bad as saying 'could care less' which so many people do and it means the exact opposite of what they intend. I find it highly irritating, especially when they argue that it is correct when you point it out to them.:rolleyes:

True, because it does change the meaning of the sentence. However, one can be pedantic if you take that stance. But saying 'could care less' is irritating when it goes against the context of the sentence.

Schnitzel
10-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Its not so much that I don't like SoB, its that I don't like fanatics. Ironically, the sisters are fanatics, but my point is I don't like the players who obsess over them. "SoB need a new codex!" Blah blah blah... Don't care, it'll come in due time.
And fluff wise, they don't really play a large enough role in the Imperium to warrant their own codex do they? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, thats just my general impression. You really don't read about them as much as an actual force as you would, say... IG, SM, or Inq....

Anyways, we've broken pretty far for the initial subject of this thread by the way... Isn't this supposed to be about Tau anyhow?

Old_Paladin
10-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Well, as I made this thread to simply point out that Tau are within the 12-18 month range of "Confirmed, but very little info."
The main purpose of the notification is done. It would have been nice if others had any additional info/rumors; but they are clearly still too far out for further leaks/teasers.
I personally don't mind if it has wandered into the area of other rumors for releases at similar times.

As for the Sisters issue.
Saying they are not important is like saying the Church of the God-Emperor isn't important to the story; as they are the militant wing of the church.

Just because the writers ignore them, or give them a stupid image when they are touched upon, doesn't mean that how it would actually work.
Realistically, every time there is a rebellion that goes against the Imperial Creed; or a disturbance to a planet that holds religious significance to the Ecclesiasty (like Shrine or Cardinal Worlds), Sisters of Battle would actually be sent.
They are significantly more powerful then the Inquisition that deals with similar tactics; which is why those Inquisitors request their help so often.

eldargal
10-12-2010, 07:08 AM
They are the militant arm of the largest, wealthiest and one of (if not the) most important and powerful institution in the Imperium. They are sadly neglected in the fluff.
There is nothing to talk about regarding Tau.:P

Its not so much that I don't like SoB, its that I don't like fanatics. Ironically, the sisters are fanatics, but my point is I don't like the players who obsess over them. "SoB need a new codex!" Blah blah blah... Don't care, it'll come in due time.
And fluff wise, they don't really play a large enough role in the Imperium to warrant their own codex do they? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, thats just my general impression. You really don't read about them as much as an actual force as you would, say... IG, SM, or Inq....

Anyways, we've broken pretty far for the initial subject of this thread by the way... Isn't this supposed to be about Tau anyhow?

schwarm_tyrant
10-17-2010, 09:17 AM
the tau..the greatest anti tank mech army there is...in a 2000 pt battle i can destroy at least 4 tanks in the first round, thank the greater good for broadside suits target lock and markerlights, as for a new codex, they can wait, now if the new codex will have these super railguns going through multiple targets...get workin gw

Melissia
10-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Jan; Forces of the Inquisition

No, this banal and downright stupid codex idea has never, EVER been supported by reliable rumors, and indeed has been denied multiple times by Games Workshop itself at the highest levels.

Dunno why people keep saying it.

Also, Tau are just as fanatic about their "Greater Good" as Sisters are about the Imperial Creed. The only difference is that the Tau are filthy xenos and don't limit themselves to converting their own race to their creed.

Anaximander
10-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Also, Tau are just as fanatic about their "Greater Good" as Sisters are about the Imperial Creed. The only difference is that the Tau are filthy xenos and don't limit themselves to converting their own race to their creed.

Converting them, or exterminating them - difference?

DarkLink
10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Converting them, or exterminating them - difference?

If they convert, they might live with the Tau. If they don't, they're dead. Tau do plenty of exterminating of their own. They're just slightly less xenophobic than Sisters are.

Melissia
10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Slightly, because there's some hints of forced sterilization programs to control population growth of non-Tau. In one instance they even resorted to basically mind controlling an entire race.

Render Noir
10-20-2010, 08:54 PM
-Changes to markerlights. Point system. 1 Markerlight point = + 1BS, 2 Markerlight points = reroll to wound[/I] [or] [I]hit 3 = Difficult Terrain test (blinded by the lights?). Cannot be stacked. So can't have reroll to wound and reroll to hit at 4 points.

When I first saw this I was like, no way. Now after seeing the new Dark Eldar Power From Pain rules (the thing where they gain FNP for killing units) I can see this as the new vogue rule among new 40k codices

DarkLink
10-20-2010, 11:31 PM
When I first saw this I was like, no way. Now after seeing the new Dark Eldar Power From Pain rules (the thing where they gain FNP for killing units) I can see this as the new vogue rule among new 40k codices

Actually, that's a good point. I like that idea.

Deadlift
10-21-2010, 12:00 AM

watch this, very amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw